replacing fuel tank in a 02-2200v

smooth move

couple years ago i was having bad ethanol problems. i was getting a redish residue out of the tank. it was clogging the filter. the walls and floor of the tank were coated with it. when it dried out it was a greyish color with a talc consistency. i cut a 4" x 10" hole in the top of my tank so i could reach into the tank with my arm and wipe the crap off the walls. i got most of it off, but it has returned after 2 more cleanings.. i think i'm to the point that the tank is contaminated too bad to clean completely. i'm thinking i need to replace the tank. i've done this before on a Mako i owned, but the Mako was designed where you could take console off and pull a plate to get to the tank. not so with a PF. the floor has to be cut out. i want to do this and use the cut out pc as a plate with a flange to replace over the hole. i need the measurements of the stringers and the deminsions of the tank.

11 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

Where are you located? I'd definitely try a professional tank cleaning company before I ever cut the floor.  There are a couple really good guys in South Florida.  They would get it clean.  Never heard of someone pulling a tank for only sediment. 

exactly. what have you been using to clean it with. use BIOBOUR in your fuel to prevent growth.

6 hours ago, fin-addict said:

exactly. what have you been using to clean it with. use BIOBOUR in your fuel to prevent growth.

i also use Biobore(?sp). i'm in galveston, tx. i can literally reach into the tank and wipe the sides down by hand and the stuff comes back. i'm thinking it's some kind of reaction between the tank and the ethanol fuel. the only non ethanol fuel around here is $10 a gal. so that's out of the question. i put a new engine on the boat last year and i'm changing filters every 50 or 60 gal. i wish i could find another solution, but i've been fighting this so long, that i'm ready to cut the tank out and replace it with a smaller one. i don't need a 60 gal tank. a thirty would be fine with me. my neighbors have the same boat as me and buy fuel the same place, they also keep their boat in slings over the water and don't have the problems i'm having. i have no problem doing this job, i just need the measurements. if i can't reuse the plug i cut out, i'll have to make a hatch type cover to replace it. i've even thought of only removing as much of the tank as i need to reinstall a smaller one.

34 minutes ago, smooth move said:

while i'm down there, any tricks to running new wire to the bow lights. i've tried to push a snake thru there several times with no luck. looks like the stock wire ran right along the keel, but the snake won't make the trip.

You could easily run a wire to the starboard front locker and then run the wire under the gunnel to the bow lights.

Archived