CG of 90s vintage 220 walk around

pan

Hi,

i am taking care of a friend's 90s vintage, 220 Cobia Walk around that is powered by a 1998 Yami 200 hp two stroke outboard.The boat looks and performs well, but when sitting at the dock, it sits in a bow down attitude. This creates all kinds of problems when it rains, as the water in the cockpit area flows forward. It eventually migrates to the bilge and either kills the battery due to continuous bilge pumping, or leaves a shin deep body of water on the deck. There are scupper drains in the aft cockpit corners but, because of the bow down pitch, the rain water never gets to them. Where, exactly, is the center of gravity on this model. There is no excessive weight in the bow or cuddy, but I suspect the stainless structure for the T-top, outriggers, and overhead electronics locker may have been installed forward of the boat's normal center of gravity. If anyone can tell me where the CG of this model is, or if it can be adjusted towards the stern, it would be really appreciated, I understand that I could add weight to the stern but that would cause the boat to increase draft as well as decrease fuel efficiency. How can I move the CG back without adding more overall weight to the boat.

Tight Lines, PAN :confused:

this is interesting... got any pics?

you could always keep a couple (or more) 5 gallon buckets full of water near the stern, to add weight (technically 'ballast' i guess) when sitting at the dock, even if they overflowed with rainwater, it would drain, right? then you could stow them away pretty easy....

there could also be other items that could be moved backward,... batteries, a heavy ice chest, gear....

also, where is the fuel tank on this boat, and how full do you guys keep it? where are the batteries? livewells?

just a few off-the-cuff ideas, anyway.

Hi, Thanks for the response. I tried the water trick but it took a full livewell and (2) full sizable coolers of water on the stern to get it right. A second engine would probably work too but it doesn't need twins. It's really weird, you wouldn't think that, at any fuel level or any number of engines, a boat

would not sit aft down while at rest. By the way, the batteries are in the battery lockers in the transom. I'm hoping somebody from Cobia reads this and is able to give me some direction. Thanks again for the response.

PAN

That boat was built long before our ***ocation with Cobia, so we can't offer particulars. However, it should be simple question of adding ballast to the stern of the boat. Yes, that will add overall weight but likely won't affect the perfomance that much. The CG itself obviously changes depending on fuel, options, motor selection, etc. Any competent yard should be able to do this for you.

Where are the batteries ? Possibly they could be moved aft as well.

Thanks for the reply. The batteries are in the battery lockers on the transom, at every fuel level the boat still stays in a bow down attitude at rest. The only weight on the bow is the anchor which is attached to the pulpit. I'm pretty sure that the super structure frame for the top, electronics locker, and out riggers is the culprit but I can't believe a boat would come out of the factory bow heavy :confused: . This is driving me nuts and I understand that additional ballast on the stern would correct the problem but I am just trying to find the root cause.

Tight Lines, PAN

Archived