trolling motor, Garmin, Power Pole

KeeKee Run

I'm getting close on my 1992 Maverick Master Angler refurb. Newer 2013 150 Pro XS. New Sea Star steering, New fuel tank installed by Young Boats in Inglis Fl. (gotta say they did a great job), new rocket trailer, and new cover by JP canvas Crystal river. Next of the list is a new Garmin. I'm leaning towards the 74sv/dv. I thinking I might regret not getting the larger 94sv/dv (my eyes are not getting any younger). Any thoughts on these machines? Does anyone have experience with the side view sonar? I will be fishing in the shallows in Crystal river not really sure the side view will be much help. As soon as I can what to get I want to get a new trolling motor. I have a very old 80lb Great White that I haven't used in many years. I could probably get it working but thought this was the right time to upgrade. It looks like most are using Minn Kota. Is the Ipilot the way to go? Are they dependable or will I be taking it in for service regularly?  I notice the power poles are a nice feature and have been on my radar recently but, with the Spot Lock on the Ipilot, would the power pole still have any real advantages? Or would it be better to go with a basic TM and a power pole to hold me in the current? I'm hoping that some of this technology will allow ME to fish instead of me operating equipment so that others on the boat can enjoy fishing. Thanks in advance for any input on these subjects. It would be nice to make some good decisions the first time.     

I have a Garmin 94 SV, it works great....also a MK 112 lb. 36 volt I Pilot....works great.  Yes, I also have a Powerpole 8 ft...it works great...I use them all regularly. If you ever fish on a boat with both I Pilot and PP, you will be spoiled. 

On your PP vs I Pilot question....if you have both, you will use both during the fishing day.  If I had to choose only one of the two to keep, it would be the I Pilot. The anchor / spot lock feature is amazing. With that being said, there are a lot of times when you can drop the PP, fish the over the oyster shells or grass...lift it up and drift down50 yards and drop it back down. It really depends on what you are fishing for and the depth of the water you generally fish.  I had the PP for two years before I added the I Pilot. The I Pilot really works great for tripletail fishing around crab trap floats where the water is too deep for PP.

Thanks for chiming in. Nobody comented on the 74sv so I'm assuming bigger is better on that topic.

I had an 80lb TM and it seemed to be sufficient for my 18 MA so I'm thinking that will do. I did have one time in ten thousand islands when the current was too strong to make head way but the current was really ripping. But I think space for 3 batteries on a larger motor would be tough. I'm not sure of the length but I can dig out and measure my old one.

I will probably start with the Ipilot TM and forgo the PP for now. But I can see how anchoring the bow and having the stern swing when fishing in a following current would get annoying.  

On another note how do you add a footer (current and past boats) on your posts?

Go to your profile page under settings...to add footer.

also, the 74sv is a good machine, I upgraded from a 541 to the 94sv, mainly because the GPS store had the 94 on sale for around 800, which was the same price as the 74. Also, I have a friend with a 18 Redfisher using a 80 IPilot 24 v and it handles the boat fantastic.

6 hours ago, KeeKee Run said:

Just checked and GPS store still has the unit for $875. Nice. Any suggestions on where to look for TM?

There is a Minn Kota factory outlet and a Minn Kota store on-line which have specials all the time plus free shipping, most stores like Bass Pro , West Marine etc, will match an online price if you print the price or show it to them. 

The side view takes some practice (I'm still learning), don't be afraid to change screen colors!  

I have 74 only because bigger screen was, in my view, too large for my console..but buddy just put a 12" on his boat and darn, these old eyes are loving it!  

I use both Talon and I Pilot. Spot lock is great, but many times the Talon is better choice.  That's a tough call...get TM and a stick till $ allows a PP/Talon.   

Enjoy your "new" boat!

Yep its too late but honestly I just can't leave Garmin. I have had other units, raymarine, lorance, furuno. I have had many Garmins and I'm sold. the easy of use is too good for me to jump ship. 

I'm getting closer to a dicision on a TM. I tend to overkill and buy more than I really need. I'm looking at a riptide #80 terrova but the Ulterra is catching my attention I can't decide if it would be worth the extra expense, is it more "stuff" to go wrong and more downtime for repairs 

On my new Redfisher18 I went with the Garmin 94sv. Powerpole Blade. Ulterra ipilot. 

All work as advertised. I do need some experience yet w the ipilot. The Garmin is user friendly. The PP is a convieniant luxury  

Deploying and running the ulterra from the poling tower is pure magic. I call it my poor mans 2nd station. LoL 

I have the 73sv (74). It works fine but the 94 would be great. When running in chop, the bigger screen would be easier to see. I found myself trying to zoom in a lot when not in familiar territory. 

Ipilot Ulterra is a must. Get a stick anchor until you can spring for a PP. 

Archived