Need help with older models

palmetto1

I'm thinking after selling my 22 Everglades, that I may look for an older quality, "classic" flats/inshore style boat. Got a buddy who just built a nice offshore CC.  Something I can pay cash for, use when I can and not worry about it when I am not using it enough.  Also something that when you do take it out you are proud of it.  Meaning I don't want a 15 year old X brand POS.

I'll keep it up but having some use on her already means I can spend more time fishing it than cleaning/waxing it. I've fished in a Hewes 16 and 18 RF and a Maverick MA (don't recall size).  But I see people talking about the older Hewes lapstrakes, and the Hewes LT and maybe others.  I could even do a 20'PF. Love the 22PF but its bigger than I am looking for.  Im currently fishing a 19 Scout Sportfisher Flats style boat with an F115 I am fixing up for a buddy and it does what I want to do well.  

What I am looking for:

- Inshore 80% of time, run out beachfront to 5 miles on a real nice day to fish a wreck, chase a tarpon, etc.

- Good ride, preferably dry

- Dry storage and a good baitwell

- Will TM fish mostly, but want a platform for visibility and for limited poling on winter red schools.  Current boat prob drafts 12" which is fine.  Don't want to give up ride and room to get to a 7" draft boat.

- Fish 2-3 guys comfortably

- 35-40mph boat

- Would like a 4 stroke since all I have had now for 10 years.  Understand older boats won't come with that without being repowered.

- Single axle trailer, no brakes required

- No wood or other hull concerns so lets eliminate models that I should NOT buy too.

Price range - like to stay in the teens, including whatever electronics, trailer etc it needs to be ready to go.

What models and years should I be looking for?

You described my boat and what I do.  Lappy 18 (or maybe 19) Redfish  NOT for sale (in that it's worth more to me than somebody would pay), but with older engine, many have low hours, you should be able to find.

Floats 11-12" real world.  Fishes 2 or 3 well, can do 4 but crowded. I'm running a 4 stroke with 3 blade prop..jumps to plane, but WOT w/1 person, 3/4 gas (holds 30 gallons) is 39kts. (I did it yesterday for grins)..cruise 25kts.   Small but useful baitwell, dry storage under seats, port aft and forward locker. Platform to pole was stock, but for lower profile 115/130 Yammy..newer engine u need to build new higher platform.  Very dry into the chop, wet when running with the wind/chop - I don't care how you trim it :(

Only problem with a Lappy is at the ramp..everybody will stop you to ask about & compliment.   

I have a 2000 20lt. Absolutely love it. Lots of storage, drafts 10-11 and handles a chop really well. I purchased the boat early summer from an older gentleman and the boat is mint. I have been told, and someone correct me if I am wrong that the pathfinder hull is extremely similar to the LT. We flats fish, scallop and run 8-10 miles offshore for kings. 

18.5 MA is a beast and a 21 is an aircraft carrier.  If it were me I'd be chasing a used MA. 19 Redfisher has a running pad and will be faster than a 20 LT or 20 Pathy. All three will have a similar ride with the LT having the most storage. It comes down to a choice of walk on gunnels or not.  I prefer walk on gunnels for inshore fishing, but Bay boats have become extra popular lately.  

The Hewes and Maverick will have the walk around gunnels. Keep in mind Hewes have different hulls depending on year.  Around 2000 they switched from the good ole lappy to the smooth side.  IMHO the older lappys had a better ride that will rival the ride of the MA, no hating, but you might get some spray depending on wind due to the narrower beem.  The "newer" Hewes are going to be bigger in both length and width and also have better storage. 

Thats very helpful.

So recap is:

Hewes RF's - 90's models have happy hull, great ride and looks, little wet with spray. Decent Storage. Draft 10-12".  2000's may get out of price range but are better storage, maybe little drier, not quite as "classic" look

18RF - ideal motor 130-150

19RF - ideal motor 150-200, fast hull

Hewes 20LT -  Longer, wider, more storage, great ride, harder to pole, similar draft, ideal 150 HP

Mav 18.5MA - great ride, little heavier, hull never changed?, Draft little more than Hewes, little harder to pole, ideal 130-150HP

Questions:

1) LT20 - never happy hull?

2) See Kevlar mentioned in some ads for LT20 - all hulls made the same for that model?  Only models with Kevlar?

3) Fuel tanks - fuel tanks not a big concern in 90's models?  Had a friend just redo a tank on a 98 Parker, not cheap!

Mid to late 90's 18 Redfishers and Bayfishers share the same hull but have a different cap. Redfisher offers a better hatch layout and normally a second plumbed well. They are great with a V4 Yamaha. A little squatty with a V6, but fast (mid 50's). 

Mavericks did change in the late 80's early 90's.  They went from the Deluxe to the Master Angler.  They got wider as well.  They also offered a couple different interior layouts, some with gunnel rod lockers and some without.  I like the 18.5 MA with a 150 V6, although the 115-130 V4 is adequate. 

LT20 didn't have many changes Same hull. They did make some with Kevlar but didn't change the hull design (I don't believe). I do not like the flip up seat. 

A fuel tank can be an issue on any boat.  MA and LT have their tank under the floor.  Lappy RF has the tank in the front compartment and can be seen and inspected fairly easily.  

I don't know much about smooth sided Redfishers. Never been on one. 

Not sure if any leaking problems on the LT but did check with Skip at mbg and he confirmed the LT 20 has a 50 gallon gas tank.  Really nice if running all weekend. Also, not sure about the flip up seat but the 2000 does not have a flip up seat. Just a cushion kind of like the mavericks. 20lt with 150 vmax, WOT low 50's with two grown dudes in it. 

Thanks, two other questions:

1) What is fuel capacity on the RFs and MAs?  50 sound nice, esp if you running an old 2 stroke.

2) Which models have back rest or are the ones I have seen aftermarket - seen bucket pole seats which I don't like how they look but see how they are functional, and seen some of the slide in metal tube back rests which are nice but assume they take up rear deck space. Boat running now has flip up back rest but seat cushion flips down into the floor which just means its going to get all messy and dirty.

The new Redfishers offer a removable backrest that is real nice ( I have this on my new RF18), and should be easily added to any boat with either stock MBG parts or locally fabricated.

The Yamaha VF115 Vmax SHO is the perfect motor (weight/power) for the RF18. IMHO

I have been running a 20LT since 2000.  Just repowered with 150 4 stroke Yama love the boat.  Very sturdy tough boat ,not the best ride in a heavy chop.but can handle it if you slow down..Don't expect to pole it too far unless you are in great shape.  I have a bow mounted Minn Kota 'troller which is a good addition for quiet shallow stuff.  You can fish 3 easily.  I get upper 40's MPH.

Hull original gel coat looks great and it spends summers exposed in the water in NE.

On January 3, 2017 at 6:21 PM, johnd said:

Fuel on RF & BF should be 30 gallons.  Easy to see tank, NOT easy to replace

This should be a huge consideration of buying one of these era boats. Aluminum tanks have a service life of about 20 years so a lot of em will be due for replacement in upcoming years. On the  MA you can't see it and when it does go, you have to cut out floor.  On the BAYFISHER, you can easily see it, easily remove it and what I've read is easily replace it with about 2-3 gallon less tank.  Not sure on redfishers because they don't have one big open hatch the Bayfisher does.  Regarless, keep it in mind when looking.  

My 92 MA came with a 50 gal tank which was great with my 130 yami 2 stroke (little over 2mpg, I ran it like stole it, WOT everywhere, all the time). this year I put in a new tank (big job). To squeeze 50 between the stringers was gonna take lots of cuts and welding, I opted for a 35 gal to save a few bucks and weight. And with my 150 Pro XS I'm still getting about the same range

(

On 1/3/2017 at 1:13 PM, palmetto1 said:

1) What is fuel capacity on the RFs and MAs?  50 sound nice, esp if you running an old 2 stroke.

As Lap mentioned...you sort of described my MA. Her tank is a 50. Mine is little less common model as it has double rod lockers and I love that feature as it makes the gunnels little wider and crazy bunch of lockable storage. 

Archived