Anyone rent a house weekly in Islamorada in summer?

justfish

We usually rent a nice duplex in marathon -key colony beach actually - but now with addition of little one, our needs have kinda changed for a bigger place and maybe more backwater than marathon has to offer. Ive always wanted to try Islamorada instead, but seems most everything I see is condos. Someone told me houses had to be rented monthly, can anyone confirm that or recommend a weekly house rental on water? 

Dont need a lot of fancy stuff, 3 br and boat slip mandatory and pool would be a huge plus. Would be For first couple weeks in June 

The Village of Islamorada has a vacation rental ordinance. The law requires all homeowners who wish to rent their properties for fewer than 28 days to be licensed annually. It also bans vacation rentals in ordinary single-family neighborhoods unless homeowners are able to provide a comprehensive list of documents proving short-term rental use has been ongoing since December 2001.

In other words, "legal" short term rentals in Islamorda are hard to come by.

I just moved from key largo. Monroe county requires that private home owners have a 1 month minimum rentals. You might be able to find private owners that might rent to you for a week but they probably won't be advertising it. Some condo's are exempt as they have applied for hotel status. Try VBRO. or even better Homeexchange.com if you are so inclined. You can talk to the home owners directly. We've used both with good success. Also try splitting the month with friends or other fisherman each taking a couple of weeks. You can get the same house at a substantial discount. We've had the most fun with friends you can come and go all month. I will be in key Largo for the month of July, great month to be in the water   

Archived