RF vs MA?

palmetto1

Well I can't really answer your question but I can give you a little prospective about the MA. I have 92 that I purchased in 2000. I have had several boats working up to a 30 intrepid that I used to travel the Bahamas. Once I bought this one I never wanted another boat. Better riding boat than any other 20 ft. I have ever been in. Very stable, dry, not much hull slap and can barrel through a chop. Its heavy, particularly the older ones. Tough to get in the skinny water and be tough to pole all day. Don't know much about the RF but I love my MA. Maybe you can get someone else who has some experience with both. Good luck  

The older Lapstrake RF and the MA have a similar ride, I believe the RF is a bit more narrow. The newer RF is a different boat, they changed the hull removing the sharp bow entry. The MA ride is so nice for 18ft boat, I don't think the newer style RF can compare.

Layout/storage wise, I think they are all pretty comparable just a different design. The 19RF looks to have a little different layout, but its a foot longer. MA's can be hard to find, they seem to pop up in cycles, the 19RF might be even harder to find, the 18RF probably more of those for sale than the others.

The LT's I believe are very similar to the newer style RF.

Good luck, can't really go wrong with any of them, just find the best condition and deal.

Go with the redfisher over the MA.  If you get the MA you will get sucked into the cult following Master Angler crowd and you will not tolerate any other boat design.  It will ruin you after one ride.  For life.  Before you know it, you will own two.  Then, you will compare your wife to it, and make comments about lines.  Things will go badly after that.  

Yeah, go with the redfisher for sure.   

Never ridden in an MA but my RF isn't as wet as it seems here. It's an 06 18ft. I've been in some fair amount of chop but it's only wet until you tab it out properly. I would recommend it to anyone. I'll have that boat forever if I can. But again- I've never ridden in an MA

Good info above.  Having spent a good amount of time on both the biggest "difference" performance wise I can note is that the Hewes feels more nimble and "sporty" than the MA which feels heavy and solid. Nothing wrong with either....feels more like like the difference in driving a car vs a truck to me.  The MA has a notoriously great ride, but the lapstrake hewes is very close, just doesn't seem to get the same love as the MA does. 

Off plane, the Hewes will draft lil less and pole lil easier. The MA is noticeable more stable - Like walking on a sidewalk. 

In all my years on the water, in lots of different boats (length, width, draft, etc.), there is nothing comparable to the MA. You never get beat up. You only get wet if it's raining. Three grown men can stand on one side of the huge walk-around gunwales and the boat will not lean too much. Tons of storage.  Not a super skinny water boat but I've made it through some very questionable low water level flats that I was sure I was going to bottom out on and it never happens - just don't stop. ;)  The only thing I don't like about my sled is that it's not an MA21.

• 4 weeks later...

I have owned a RF18 2003 model...my first MBC vessel which I had custom built.  The 18RF had a F115 and I was the "first" to have a PT prop 4 blade on mine...

The boat ran well....poled "heavy"...but, poled...I'm not a poling fisherman and used it about 100+ hours in two years, mostly learning Chokloskee...had a TM setup and no Powerpole at the time....they are good boats...I went up to a 22PF as I missed yellow tailing...then sold her to spend a few years doing camera work in my studio in Atlanta, then came back to a Pathfinder 17T and now back into a MA which is literally a cream puff.

I just purchased and ran my 1995 MA - and all i can say is one word - WOW.  There is a huge difference in how it handles rough water and chop...I've now run it up and own the FLL channel which has some nice swells and boat traffic...never a drop of water...

I walked the gunnels and found it to be a very incredible ride....

Having owned both, the MA (changed from RF) is definitely the better ride in the chop...

DC

I have a 18.5 MA and buddy has Hewes LT. His is bit newer but hulls appear to be same and deck layout is very close except for he has diff console and the fold down seat. Both 150s but different. His a V Max and mine the predecessor Pro V. My boat prefers a 4 blade prop and his a 3 but his is quicker by a bit and seems to pole better and has less draft. Not much but they say inches matter. I like my ride better but I also prefer my seat to his flip flopper. He has windshield and I do not and as I am only 5"10 I never feel like I have the same visibility. So...as mentioned...wet test before making up your mine. Each one (depending on the year of course) has its nuances but both are sweet!

Archived