First Boat

ricksnole85

Looking to buy my first flats boat.  Looking at Hewes and Maverick specifally 16-17 ft boat between 2000 and 2010 as that is what my garage will hold and it's my first.  What are some differences in the two boats?  What should I know?  What are some pros and cons.  I will be primarily be fishing the panhandle area with trips to the keys and other great fishing spots in the Southeast.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hewes Redfisher is a great flats & bay rig for the panhandle bays. The Maverick is more of a technical poling skiff, great if that's your goal. The MBG guys have posted some sticky's here with info on the differences.

Keep in mind the overall length to fit in a garage includes trailer tongue and outboard. Plus any poling tower needs to fit under the garage door.

On 1/4/2017 at 7:47 AM, ricksnole85 said:

Looking to buy my first flats boat.  Looking at Hewes and Maverick specifally 16-17 ft boat between 2000 and 2010 as that is what my garage will hold and it's my first.  What are some differences in the two boats?  What should I know?  What are some pros and cons.  I will be primarily be fishing the panhandle area with trips to the keys and other great fishing spots in the Southeast.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You have a 10 year range on the hull...many many changes during this time.....and this will affect your $$$.

Several ???

Do you want to do your own DIY upgrades or repairs?

You mention 1st boat....Have you been in any of these types of boats?  The all ride differently, trailer differently etc. etc.

dc

Thanks for the response, I have been in both types of boats and I think I'm starting to narrow to a hewes  16-17 ft. between 03 and 07.  Something that is pretty turn key.  I don't mind doing upgrades just want a solid hull and motor.  I would like to be under 20,000 but will go over if it's a great deal.

Archived