Portable Battery Jumper

Shindig

I bought the lithium unit at Costco about a year ago and am very impressed.  It holds it's charge, jumped my mothers completely dead battery with no problem, and it can do several jumps on 1 charge.  I actually just used it 2 weeks ago to jump my outboard when my starting battery's life came to an unexpected end.  I'm surprised how much punch this little unit packs.  There are other similar units out there with more power and I may grab a second one to keep in the truck, but I'm happy with this one.

http://www.costco.com/Lithium-Jump-Starter-And-Portable-Power-Bank-.product.100312116.html

I carry the Microstart XP-1 portable charger. It has a nice selection of accessories to charge most anything as well as a auto jump start cable set. I keep it in my truck and switch to my boat and pop up camper when out in either. It is small and compact and has not let me down.

12 hours ago, Bamaskeet said:

Instead of carrying a jumper system, if you wire your boat using Hobos wiring diagram, you are covered.

It's posted in Favorite Topics.

Never looked at that before thanks. What's the orange cable going from trolling one (+) to trolling two (-) represent though? 

That is the jumper that completes the 24v system.  You have to tie the two batteries together.  I can't give you the technical terms but I know that with the system, you use the + from a battery and a - from another battery but something has to tie the two batteries together to make it 24v.   

X-2 on the Micro-Start!  I got a XP-3 model for Christmas.  This is a smaller version of the original (that I believe was developed for the military).  I think it's about 6" long and weighs about 10 oz!  Perfect for the skiff.  It has 2 USB ports and is very small-sized, but can start cars, boats, etc. It has 200 amps starting current with 400 amps peak.  Manual says it can jump start up to 20 times on a single charge, and the charge reportedly lasts for 6 months. It also has a 110 lumen LED flashlight.   Here'a link:

Micro-Start XP-3

I have a sturdy sized traditional style jump start battery which has always come in handy.  I plan on switching to the lithium kind when this jumper starts to show signs of fading.  From my research, make sure that you choose one that is listed to start the largest engine you may encounter to make sure you have enough cranking power including weather considerations.  I have my boat wiring set up like Bamaskeet suggested from one of Hobo's old posts.  That is the way to go.  I actually had to use it a month ago for the first time ever and it worked great.  I stopped carrying my jumper on the boat since I cruise around with 4 batteries on board and don't usually use the TM for  more than 3 - 4 hours.  If I did, I think it would be worth bringing a jumper just in case, especially if you are in a secluded area.  I am more interested now, in keeping it in my truck: it only has one battery!  

One of the ones I looked at is now available at BassPro.  Here it is from Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016UG6PWE/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It is one of the bigger ones, but it is matched up to the boat and truck engine. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Man the lithium stuff is awesome! Picked up this one and used couple times and works as well as my old NAPA battery in a box thats huge.  I run the redundant batt switch set up on the boat so don't carry one on board but use this in the truck.

Hurricane, not sure but have jumped auto twice and big riding mower half doz times on single charge thus far before recharging it to be safe.

Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 9.05.13 AM.png

My microstart XP-1 says approx. 15 starts gas or 3-4 diesels before recharging. I have personally jumped 4 cars at a ranch party (everyone left there doors open all day). I work at a Car dealership and the techs all have them (different brands) and use them daily. Some brands had problems in the beginning with the battery or mine (Microstart) came out with a different jumper cable for cars because the original cable got to hot and melted when jump starting a car.

I have this one and have used it on cars before but not on my boat.  It is a rock solid unit and unlike others you can leave it plugged in all the time to keep it charged and then just grab it when you go fishing.

https://www.amazon.com/Jump-N-Carry-JNC660-1700-12-Volt-Starter/dp/B000JFJLP6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485111752&sr=8-1&keywords=jnc660

http://www.cloreautomotive.com/sku.php?id=244

Would also recommend getting the cover for it.

https://www.amazon.com/JNCCVR-Jump-N-Carry-Starter-Models-JNC4000/dp/B00ZPAQ9HS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1485111752&sr=8-4&keywords=jnc660

Archived