New Transducer Location

KeeKee Run

I'm installing my new Garmin 94 side view on my 92 18.5 MA. I'm trying decide where the best location to mount the transom transducer. The instructions say mount it as close to the center as possible, but I'm assuming that the step (or cut out on the bottom) will create significant turbulence. To get away from that I would be pretty far off to one side and right up against my trim tab which would probably create turbulence as well. Has anyone mounted near the center with this type of hull design?

Here is what I did. Just did it last week, so far so good. Took some time thinking about where to mount it, moving inboard and outboard to adjust how deep it ran in the water. 

My boat is an 03 so it has recessed trim tabs and that takes up transducer mounting options. The other good spots to mount on the transom were blocked by trailer bunks, so this spot was about all there was. And it seemed to work out. 

There is some risk to damage since it is slightly below the hull and has no means to breakaway, but its small and risk I was willing to accept.

20161231_165642.jpg

20161231_165740.jpg

ya clear transom space pretty limited on these hulls. I have been thinking of similar install underneath. Thanks for the pics, that helps. I think I'm gonna start out on the transom next to the trim tab. I'm thinking I may have some trouble with the side vu. If so I move it then. Thanks for the input.

I think it would've been an easier install if the Elite 7ti that I installed had the 2 transducers rather than the one Total Scan.

The LSS transducer has the screws on the outter edge, so I wouldn't have had to make a Starboard plate to mount it. Also I wouldn't have had to worry about the side scan transducer being in the water at speed. But its done and it works.

• 2 weeks later...

Rubble that's a similar spot to where I have mine.  Mine loses depth reading soon as I'm on plane. Bottom of transducer is currently level with bottom of that spot on my boat.  Wonder if lowering it there would be better.  Concern with that is hitting something while on plane. Don't usually hit stuff but it can happen.

Seems like safe location might be on transom but where step is and drop it below the step.  Would protect it too from anything bumped on underside of hull. 

Any thoughts?

thanks!!👍

Archived