Anyone know the steering cable length for a 16' Bayfisher?

flatsfisher772

Couple of questions:

1) My steering cable moves easily but turning one direction it refuses to go very far, other direction turns fine. Inspecting the rod there appears to be nothing that should be causing this problem. Before I go replace the whole cable, could it be anything else? Could sanding that area down help to smooth out any imperfection I'm not seeing?

2) If I do need a cable replacement does anyone know the length of the cable for that boat? I know I can pull it and measure it but I wanted to use the old cable to help snake the new cable through.

3) Finally, any suggestions on replacing the cable? I'm learning more and more things that could have made my life easier with these projects. Any tips to save me time and headache before hand are always welcomed and appreciated. 

Thanks guys!

Here is a link to an earlier thread on cable lengths for the 2000 16 Bayfisher.  Not sure what year you have.

Mine was binding up badly too.  Upon inspection during the switch to hydraulic (more below) I think it was the helm that was the culprit - badly worn and loose components that were binding up.

Because of the sharp bend in the steering cable as it comes through the steering well and interference with the poling platform, I was certain there would be no way to switch out my cable system without pulling the motor.  I would have to unbolt the motor, swing it counter clockwise to feed the cable into the motor then carefully put it all back in place.  For these reasons, and my love of hydraulic systems, I switched over to the Uflex GoTech steering system.  I just cut off the steering rod section of the old cable to get it out.

The Uflex system was pretty easy to install and is a dream to drive.  My local boat supply shop sold me one for a better price than a 25% discounted one at Overtons.  One issue is that if I trimmed the motor all the way up it would bind where the engine bolts are and it would likely damage the steering.  The Uflex guys said to flip the steering bracket on the motor and I should be good.  I just haven't done it yet.

Good luck!

Bud

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Could be the steering at the engine or the mount.   Mine at the mount froze and was going to cost over $3000 to replace due to taking engine apart to get to it.  I had probably failed to lube it well.  Putting a 70hp Yam back on it now instead of a 90 4 stroke due to weight.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/7/2017 at 12:36 PM, 16bayfisher said:

Yes motor had to be pulled. I got everything from West marine new cable and helm for 200.

Why did the motor need to be pulled? I have removed my steering cable from my outboard and put it back with no issues. I have a 1992 Bonefisher, is my steering setup different from the redfisher? I have a 2006 yamaha 90 if that is important. I think my steering needs to be replaced as I am having the same issues as the OP.

Archived