Motor setback

mulligan

Just curious if anyone has added more setback to their rig.

I have a RF21 with a 6" jackplate and was thinking of adding 2" spacers.  My boat handles/rides much better with a lighter bow and was hoping moving the motor back might help offset some of the bow weight.  I realize I might gain a bit of draft but I am ok with that.  I would hate to go through the hassle of putting spacers in if someone has already done so and it was a complete fail.

Thanks 

A while back I remember seeing a 21 that was all black with a 225 and i think he had 10 inch setback. He "claimed" higher speeds than usual, but so many people bs about what speed their boat actually runs that you never know what to believe. Pull your trolling motor off the front or 2 batteries out of the console and see how the boat reacts if you want to test it. Id bet you gain more speed from dropping weight from the bow than moving the motor further.

If the 21 was a padded hull then any small change can have big gains, just not sure how big the gains will be.For example, my old boat would fully get on pad at 63.5. If you could break that 63.5 barrier the boat would exponentially gain speed with minor changes. If you have access to some wedges it isnt to difficult to experiment with. I have a 25 trophy and 24 fury if you want to try either. I bet the fury would do well on a redfisher 21 since they have tons of lift. I'd say give it a shot, they can be removed no problem. 

Thanks for the offer guys.

Shane

I think your props might be too tall for me to spin.  As for taking weight of the bow I have done that to test it out. I gain about 3-4 mph on top and better ride by moving the troller to the cockpit.  Take the batteries out of the bow and no trolling motor and it is game on!  For every day fishing it is not practical but fun.

Lap

I do not think it is as round at the bottom as an 18  from what I remember but might be.  It is a v-bottom, no pad. 

Archived