Rod building/repair

Miss Jazzy

Just ordered up my first rod building kit from Mudhole. Always looked like a fun hobbie esp. during this time of year. I mainly want to be able to fix broken rod tips and guides since no one close here does it. Been watching a bunch of videos of how many different ways to thread a rod, never new they were so many or how indepth it can be. Who here does or has dabbled in rod building? Would like to see some your work and/or ideas. I can't wait to get started myself!

I have been building my own for awhile, just got my order so my 9yo nephew can build his own.  I have only done inshore rods so I mainly keep the wraps simple. My theory on that is with weaving wraps you use more thread, more thread is more epoxy, is more weight.  I am not sure how true it is but it works in my head.:D

It is pretty nice to have a rod done the exact way you want it and set up better than most store bought rods. Have fun with it.

Been building for a few years, still learning on every build.  Fun hobby, and rods make nice Christmas gifts.

I have several kids in the neighborhood that stop by and have built some neat stuff. 

Some good youtube videos oh different types of wraps.....a lot of good ideas.

Have Fun with it.

I have built well in excess of 100 rods probably closer to 300.  I did some fly rod demo work for mudhole.  I can provide any advice you may want.  I have done artsy work for people.  I build a lot of rods for tourney bass guys.  

feel free to pm me or ask here I can give guide/ blank/ spacing advice.  Also can help with trick to make it a lot easier therefore faster. 

the one thing I will say is if you are a Cork user go to the highest possible grade and use cork sealer I think it is u-40 brand.  cork resources are diminishing so the quality available is dropping. 

did you get a power wrapper or a hand wrapper?

agree with mulligan that is why the new bass rods have like 11-13 number 4 guides and nearly no wrap.  I build all my bass rods no for grip split rear grip and the largest guide is an 8 and no excess thread raps thus no excess epoxy or weight.  I have seen light fly rods not act right do to too much artsy wrapping. 

you wraps look nice bet you spent a lot of time on that.  I cant tell if you have winding checks on all your EVA.  I had never used winding checks with cork but with eva the epoxy is much more prone to wick up.   wraps look nice hand wrapper makes it easier initially I believe.  i'm guessing someone explained the difference between nylon and colorfast thread to you.  nylon will turn translucent without color preserver whereas colorfast will hold color.  color preserver can be added after wrap before epoxy if you want to hold color on nylon but I believe it gives a lesser result because it make the epoxy lay on the thread instead of integrated with the thread. 

The highlight inserts really aren't that hard to do after watching several YouTube videos. Yea I know the difference in the type threads, I'm using what the kit came with and will not be using a color preserver. I did use a winding check in front of the fir grip but no where else. I thought about it but I thought after I putting finish on the threads it would help conceal the small gap. I'm working on the eyes now. Having a little trouble keeping them in place. Would you suggest a small amount of tip top glue to hold them down? Or is that what you mean by guide tubes, never heard of those. 

Finished up the guides last night and applied the finish. The wrapping of the small guides were a pain to start with but got easier as I went through them. I'm pretty happy how it turned out with just a few small blemishes. I think I got too much build up under the guides, between the guide and blank. Should have got it out before it dried but I didn't notice it last night. Overall I think it turned out great for my first attempt and I really enjoyed it.

How long does the ProKote take to fully cure? Still I little tacky this morning. Been on for about 9 hrs. now. 

IMG_0928.JPG

IMG_0929.JPG

IMG_0930.JPG

Looks good! Just a tip on the small single foot running guides, if you hold your thread back a little farther from the ring of the guide it will not want to creep up the "neck" of the guide and gather there as much. In regards to curing out, 9 hours should have been enough under ideal conditions. If it was a little cooler in the house than 72, it can take longer. Also, you need to be very exact with mixing the epoxy amounts and also stirring it for at least 4 minutes. Either not mixed equally or mixed throughly can cause a little tackiness. If you think it was due to being a little too cool, you can put it in your car if it is parked in the sun and it will help it cure out. Well done for the first build! 

Thanks for the tips guys, will definitely do that on the next one which I've already started! I'm redoing an old All Star rod now. The finish did set a couple hours later. The house was a little cool and I guess it prolonged the set time. I went ahead and added another coat after I touched up some of the imperfections. 

Finished product!

IMG_0945.JPG

Archived