Saltwater Crocs or "Salties"

Explosivo

Hello to my Australian Forum brothers and sisters...

I was watching a National Geographic special on Saltwater Crocs, and boy are those monsters scary. I was wondering how often you encounter them while out fishing, and if so, any good stories?

Thanks for any replies and Happy New Year!

Paul

Hi Paul,

We mostly see them in the cooler months as they get on the banks to warm up. Plenty of them around and generally don't give us too much grief. We did have one, only small about 8ft, hanging around when we were fishing in Weipa a couple of years ago and managed to hook him by accident. Also had one lying beside our boat when we were camping in a creek up on Cape York that gave me a fright.

There was a camper taken by one checking a crab pot near Cooktown recently so you do need to take care and be aware of their presence.

This time of year they are often seen around the Cairns beaches as they travel for mating.

Cheers Snelly

Snelly,

Thanks for sharing, those crocs scare me and I have no fear of what lurks below until seeing that show. I heard a story of Kayaker guide that got snatched and eaten by one of those after he had just warned his clients to stay away from the banks due to the crocs. He told them that they wouldn't bother them in open water.

Amazing creatures! Tight lines my friend!

Paul

Archived