Yamaha square gauge speed inop

FROZEN

Guys,

I have never seen speed readings on my "new to me" 2008 2200TE F250 CL square gauge. The readings are either "a dash" or "3" underway. At a recent service at my local Yamaha shop, they made sure the inlet on the leading edge of the lower unit was clear by running a 1/16 drill through the hole and compressed air, I assume. When I flush the motor, water drains from the hole for a good while with the other holes draining "in unison".

Where do I look next? Gauge problem?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

M

Did you look to be sure it's connected at the gauge? If it's connected at the gauge, disconnect it from the gauge and the motor, then use compressed air to blow from the console back toward the motor. Should never use compressed air to blow out the lines when connected to the gauge. You got to determine if it's worth replacing the gauge, verses using the GPS for speed if it comes down to that.  

I haven't had time to start this fix (had to work to buy boat gas!) but I did go to the PF dealer service manager who took me to the tach who "fixed" it. He said they drilled the inlet hole on the LU forward nose to clear the passage, and applied "light" air across the opening. They observed the gauge and saw the speed numbers register, and increase and decrease with the air. In their opinion, that signified the problem was solved. I questioned a partial blockage or kink might be present. Their reply was that they have done hundreds of these, and it a crappy Yamaha design.

Opinions? Am I right to assume that it's a tube passage from the LU all the way to the gauge? No orifices between? Just tube couplers?

My own investigations begin this weekend, I hope. 

Archived