Bluetooth speaker instead of stereo?

justfish

Anyone do this?

I don't currently have a stereo, but would like some tunes occasionally and would like to keep it as simple as possible. I am in no way a audio guy -  on my last boat, I had a simple amp and two fusion speakers and served it me fine. About only requirement are I would like to be able to last most of day and be able to hear on plane.  I don't think my $20 one I use on back porch will cut it, but there might be some that will. UE boom gets great reviews but not cheap so would like to hear some recomendations from others before I go that route.

Seems like goin this way is a lot less to go wrong and can take it with you to corner of sandbar rather than compete with all the other music and worry about battery dying as well.. 

This is how I do it. I did the research and ended up with the Fusion Active. It's pricey; but it gets nice and loud. You can use ram mounts for it if you want also which I like- although I haven't mounted it. I move it around all over the place. Don't turn it up while fishing though, it has some bass which definitely can be heard in the water.  

Hearing while on plane.  You need quality speakers and the correct location.  Two 7.7 M series JL's in the front of the rod lockers facing you. One 400watt amp (does not need to be JL but needs to be quality with a high true RM wattage. Blue tooth adapter to the amp (this can be the 20 dollar Amazon one with black shrink tubing (it's better than the fusion one). All you need is your phone to play what you want. Gain and levels can be set on the amp. Volume controlled thru the phone. Pandora now has Pandora plus which plays your top listened to stations without service. Even on airplane mode.  As far as the JL's. Once you hear them compared to almost any other speaker except a couple (Wet sounds/Roswell Marine), you'll see why you need them. Buy low quality and expect low quality sound. 

I use a  Fugoo Sport Bluetooth speaker. I got it for using everywhere not just the boat. On plane you can't really hear it all that well but for just hanging out it works fine. I have been thinking about getting speakers and an amp and I think if I do it I will just get a Bluetooth controller to go to the amp and not worry about a head unit. 

I have the EcoXGear - the biggest one.  Can't hear it very well on plane unless it's facing you.  Flip side is, it's waterproof, bright orange, and floats, all three of which have come in handy.  If we're messing around with snappers or sheepies, it cranks pretty well - we just throw it on the poling platform and it rocks . . .

Interesting timing, we had this same discussion here yesterday.  Planning to build a Pathfinder 25 Hybrid this Spring and not planning to install a stereo.  Just purchased a JBL Flip 3, this thing is like being front row at a concert.  Plenty loud for me...

Skip

14 hours ago, slyshon said:

Interesting timing, we had this same discussion here yesterday.  Planning to build a Pathfinder 25 Hybrid this Spring and not planning to install a stereo.  Just purchased a JBL Flip 3, this thing is like being front row at a concert.  Plenty loud for me...

Skip

Interesting with your resources...What's your reasoning? Just simplicity? 

One of the guys who just got transferred to my station is always playing music on his.  Morning truck check, workout, etc...I asked him about his yesterday and he showed me it's super loud and told me he hasn't charged it since being transfered.  4 or 5 shifts of couple hours a day and says he uses it on off days as well...pretty impressive.   Pretty rugged looking but don't think it's waterproof but  at only $35 who really cares. Prob gonna get one for golf cart and try it on boat - 

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-SoundCore-Bluetooth-Dual-Driver-Distortion/dp/B016XTADG2/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1484829566&sr=1-3&keywords=anker+bluetooth+speaker

Buddy has one of these on a flats boat:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00UVQ7PRY/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1484934350&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=waterproof+solar+bluetooth+speaker&dpPl=1&dpID=51NzZI8yAiL&ref=plSrch

Gets pretty loud and has place for external extra battery and solar charger. Still hard to hear over a motor at full bore. 

I had a stereo on my last boat, did not use it that much and really think that it is useless to try to listen to music while on plane for the most part. I have a JBL xtreme, decent sound and a nice big battery for recharging a phone. This works well for listening to tunes while fishing and is portable for sand bar use. Can suspend it or place on a cushion, so at reasonable volumes it will not be putting much noise into the water thru the hull. 

I am with Lap it up and placed mine down inside the cockpit area facing backwards. I only have a puny 200 Watt amp and run either a RCA cord with jacks from the amp to my phone or use the Dongle (Bluetooth) hookup. The Bluetooth loses the signal frequently so I like the direct hookup to my phone with the RCA jacks. I run Pandora and it gets plenty loud and I can here it while running WOT. I am sure I could add a bigger amp and more speakers to get a better sound. I use the JL Audio equipment.

244nzb7.jpg

18 hours ago, lurem said:

I am with Lap it up and placed mine down inside the cockpit area facing backwards. I only have a puny 200 Watt amp and run either a RCA cord with jacks from the amp to my phone or use the Dongle (Bluetooth) hookup. The Bluetooth loses the signal frequently so I like the direct hookup to my phone with the RCA jacks. I run Pandora and it gets plenty loud and I can here it while running WOT. I am sure I could add a bigger amp and more speakers to get a better sound. I use the JL Audio equipment.

244nzb7.jpg

Glad to hear my blue tooth isn't the only one that drops

That's another reason I don't really want to go that route.  Last boat, I had an amp with two fusion speakers and  the fusion blue tooth dongle.  The Bluetooth dropped constantly, heard engine whine and worst of all lost approx 1/3 of volume and quality over the $20 radio shak rca jack I installed after it.  It actually sounded great so I ended up using it 99% of time.  

Got a Bluetooth speaker I sometimes carry..can't hear on plane and don't use when fishing, but nice when bride aboard scalloping.  Just haven't found the need for music on a skiff..would rather hear a snook slurp or trout crash topwater.  To each their own.

On January 21, 2017 at 0:49 PM, justfish said:

That's another reason I don't really want to go that route.  Last boat, I had an amp with two fusion speakers and  the fusion blue tooth dongle.  The Bluetooth dropped constantly, heard engine whine and worst of all lost approx 1/3 of volume and quality over the $20 radio shak rca jack I installed after it.  It actually sounded great so I ended up using it 99% of time.  

The fusion Bluetooth dongle is awful. The one on Amazon wrapped in black shrink tubing that looks homemade is way better.  I used to install the fusion for people. I refuse to do it now, even if you buy it.  You will not find a little handheld Bluetooth speaker you can hear on plane. 

If you want to jam and have quality sound while running the only way to go is JL Audio M Series. M770 & M880's are just awesome, but are expensive and definitely require a quality amp. I have (4) JL M880's with JL MHD600/4 amp. It jams! But if you just want some music when you're not running it's wayyyyyyyy cheaper and super easy for a quality bluetooth portable speaker. I have one at the house I use all over, in the garage, in the yard, etc. super easy to use and move around. So just depends what you're after. If you want to impress folks and really thump, it's going to cost $1000-2000. You can have bluetooth portable music for $50 or even less.

Josh B.

To each their own, but I personally don't want to jam, thump or impress anyone.  I generally consider music a distraction out there, but do enjoy it occasionally especially when just cruising  

FYI I went with this one due to price and good reviews.  Same brand that my buddy has that's very nice sounding.  This is just the waterproof version.  Worst case we have a new one for pool and beach and I'll put in an amp and speakers  

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-SoundCore-Subwoofers-Waterproof-Shockproof/dp/B01DZ56MX0/ref=sr_1_cc_4?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1485106098&sr=1-4-catcorr&keywords=Anker+Bluetooth+speaker#customerReviews

ill report back on how it works when I get it and get out there

Archived