Using a Pressure Washer for Bilge

YankeeRedfisher

After a summer on the lift I pulled my RF18 and planned to get it ready for FL. The bilge is black and much mold . The pump had a blown fuse so a great amount of water was sitting in the bilge

I got all the wiring disconnected and labeled 1 BP, 2 LW pumps. Thought I'd use a pressure washer to scrub it clean, Also thinking about putting a terminal strip in high above the water line for the pump connections.

Any thoughts/comments/ideas.

I've done it before with great results. Use a wide tip (yellow on mine) and you'll be fine. Might loose a lil paint around fuel separator that's already loose from spilling a lil fuel here or there  but that's all I've ever seen. 

I've sprayed with bleach and concoction of all sorts of stuff even  tired filling with ice slurry and driving around...nothing cleans in like a pressure washer.

6 hours ago, YankeeRedfisher said:

After a summer on the lift I pulled my RF18 and planned to get it ready for FL. The bilge is black and much mold . The pump had a blown fuse so a great amount of water was sitting in the bilge

I got all the wiring disconnected and labeled 1 BP, 2 LW pumps. Thought I'd use a pressure washer to scrub it clean, Also thinking about putting a terminal strip in high above the water line for the pump connections.

Any thoughts/comments/ideas.

You shouldn't need a pressure washer.  Bleach in a pump sprayer and then water.  Sometimes you have to do it a couple times.  Stubborn grease and oil use Formula 88 degreaser and a green scotch brite pad.  I have a 1998 RF and you can eat out of my bilge.  I dump leftover boat soap in my bilge and throw the hose in their after every trip. Also Keeps my pumps clean and salt free. 

My boat is fished a lot, I really don't spend a great deal of time cleaning the bilge every time I wash the boat, I do rinse the bilge with fresh water and boat soap occasionally, and about twice a year, I put a half gallon of simple green and a splash of bleach with a bag of ice and about 15 gallons of water in there and let it sit a while....then tow it around the neighborhood to slosh it around some. Followed by opening the drain plug on a back road for the ride home. It's not as clean as some, but I'm ok with it.

I'm surprised "Ron in Atlanta" has not replied....... his bilge is waxed with Zaino......you could literally eat off it. I don't know how he does it, or how long it takes....but every square inch of his Pathfinder is immaculate. If he reads this, he can give you advice with proven results on cleaning any place on or in your boat. 

3 hours ago, YankeeRedfisher said:

The pressure washer is appealing to me; even though several forum members said to avoid it. I can set my pressure washer on low velocity and I'm thinking it would not hurt anything in the bilge but would help scrub all the nooks and cranny's.

Maybe I shoulda been more clear. I don't use a commercial grade pressure washer or anything.  Been using a small electric one - currently a Ryobi 1600 psi - for years and never had an issue.  I use a wide (yellow on mine) tip.  I use this all over boat, often, and never had an issue with anything.  Not sure why the bilge should be any different. 

A lot of times I rinse my feet off with this thing while I'm using it. Its not going to cut through any any wires, definitely no drain lines unless they are severely rotten in which case I'd rather find out on land. 

Thanks for this input. I have about 4 settings on my pressure washer and feel that the low one will do no harm. I've used it to clean the topside of two of my boats no problem. Also used it to clean my dock prior to painting with Rescue; did a great job and no damage. All of these inputs are worthwhile.

On the connections , two of the live well pumps have the replaceable heads, just turn them remove. .I used disconnects for them in the past but guess I should go with heat shrink butt connectors and liquid tape. I was hoping to be able to disconnect them for replacement when they fail without cutting wire in the future but guess its better with butt connectors sealed.

5 hours ago, linesider 159 said:

If you were to go the ice trick you need to disconnect your lead from the battery otherwise the float switch will just pump everything out. 

I forgot to mention power to the the float switch....it will dump it out before you get 100 ft from the house with the ice, simple green, bleach water, etc....been there, done that !

Archived