Navigating ponce inlet

Jscann

Pretty straight forward. The inlet is pretty tame most of the time and well marked. I use it regularly with our 22TE when we chase tarpon on the beach. It gets a little more interesting inside the inlet. They just re marked the shoaling on the north side but it does get a little narrow turning north. Slow speed zones are strictly enforce and there is a lot of traffic.

good luck

Usually pretty easy but have been through there when it has some huge rollers due to the wind and tide opposing each other. Pretty sketchy at that point but doable (not advisable) if you ride the back of a wave to avoid sticking the bow. Maybe, plan your first time on a slack tide. Also, lots of traffic and some big wakes so keep your head on a swivel and follow the markers. 

With most inlets never forget that tides may make you unable to get back in when you want to. Local knowledge is also a big factor. Most east coast inlets can become a real issue if the wind is onshore and the tide is going out. I have seen a tide change make for a white knuckle ride with no change in wind speed or direction.

10 minutes ago, Capt. Troy said:

With most inlets never forget that tides may make you unable to get back in when you want to. Local knowledge is also a big factor. Most east coast inlets can become a real issue if the wind is onshore and the tide is going out. I have seen a tide change make for a white knuckle ride with no change in wind speed or direction.

Can you say "Bakers Haulover "......ugly under above conditions....seen many a boater get into trouble.

dc

25 minutes ago, Capt. Troy said:

Sebastian is really bad about that..

On 1/25/2017 at 8:32 AM, Capt. Troy said:

That's what I was wondering most about it, mayport is like that and makes it almost impossible to get back in

Run Ponce many times, except in the east wind/ outgoing tide situation, it's pretty easy inlet.  Even in bad conditions no where near as challenging as Sebastian.  More issues inside the inlet with ICW boat traffic and on weekends folks who've been visiting the local watering holes heading home (or to the next bar). 

Just pay attention to the wind & tides, just like anywhere.  

Archived