New Pathfinder Deck Design Ideas?

ASB

I have been guiding the 10,000 islands on Hewes and a Pathfinder Boats since the late 90's. I've seen the shift from skiffs to bay boats and vice versa. I came to realize not one boat could do it all in my area so I purchased a skiff for fly fishing the skinny and a Pathfinder 22te for spin trips for up to 4 anglers. For Years Pathfinders have been a standard for guide boats in my area and I love mine.
The only problem is over half of my clients will not step on the forward or rear decks to fish. They do not feel comfortable up there. So this makes my Pathfinder very small on many trips and everyone piled up in the small floor space.
Before Christmas I had a nice phone conversation with Charlie Johnson at MBC and I asked him if they could make me a a Pathfinder with a floor only from bow to stern
I knew it probably wouldn't be likely due to the cost of designing and manufacturing a new deck mold. Several of my guide friends have gone to different model boats because of this like Dorado and older Aquasports. 
Besides a guide would anyone else be interested or like to have a open floor design Pathfinder? I think the 24te or 23 HPS would be awesome for this set up. It could have a small livewell in front of the motor splash well and a leaning post livewell to save space. Maybe a small raised front deck like the older Aqua sports and Dorados. For storage floor hatches and fish boxes. 
It could still have the wide gunnels and small space on top of the bow for an anchor locker and trolling motor. Imagine how much weight could be shaved off getting rid off all those upper decks and hatches. The Draft would be insanely shallow. 
I was hoping to get some ideas and opinions so MBC might get to liking the idea and possibly build this style boat if some buzz was started.
I have thought about gutting my Pathfinder and having a glass guy build my dream but I don't think it's worth me spending the money when I can just sell my Pathfinder and go to another boat that is already laid out the way I want. 

Whatcha think?

Here are some Pics I took from a trip I did this last weekend and you can see what I work with. 

Here all ganged up around the leaning post and I can't get by anyone to get to the livewellIMG_4211.JPG

No one on a deck all day. 

IMG_4208.JPG

No room to walk by cooler/seat 

IMG_4210.JPG

Here are some Pics I took from a trip I did this last weekend and you can see what I work with. 

Ohhhh man, that is hard to look at... ha ha

Most of us are the complete opposite, we want to be up top on the deck or on a casting platform.

The guide life... which is why the "West Coast Bay Boat" is so popular around my parts. The old 222 Aquasport, Dorado, T-Craft, etc. they have their place and serve a purpose. 

Can't say I would want one, but I see your point.

Josh B.

I would be very interested, I have a 2013 TRS, love the boat  but I have friends, family members who will do the same. Only hard core fisherman will step up onto the casting decks, worried about falling overboard or on their ass if a big enough wake goes by.These are experienced fisherman. I think about it too, turning 65 soon, wife thinks I should find something else. Don't want a full size CC.

Interesting dilemma.  I had a Pathfinder 2000, 2007 model.  It had deck fittings for pedestal chairs; 1 on each side aft and 1 up on the bow.  I had 3 chairs and used them based on the fishing.....one of my "larger" customers used a seat a lot as his balance wasn't good due to his size, 6'10" and he got tired of standing....

Anyway, pedestal chairs may be a solution to move them onto the fishing decks as it looks like your boat has the fixtures for the pedestals.....

Andy 

1 hour ago, FLY TIME said:

I would be very interested, I have a 2013 TRS, love the boat  but I have friends, family members who will do the same. Only hard core fisherman will step up onto the casting decks, worried about falling overboard or on their ass if a big enough wake goes by.These are experienced fisherman. I think about it too, turning 65 soon, wife thinks I should find something else. Don't want a full size CC.

one of the main reasons i had my front deck filled in is that my wife and i have both fallen into the "pit" while setting the hook or fighting a fish. i really like the full front deck. only drawback is that you can't walk around the console without stepping up onto the front deck.

2 hours ago, FLY TIME said:

Another good point. I've had quite a few people  almost get hurt from a fall on upper decks and I have them come down.

2 hours ago, Dawgfan said:

Interesting dilemma.  I had a Pathfinder 2000, 2007 model.  It had deck fittings for pedestal chairs; 1 on each side aft and 1 up on the bow.  I had 3 chairs and used them based on the fishing.....one of my "larger" customers used a seat a lot as his balance wasn't good due to his size, 6'10" and he got tired of standing....

Anyway, pedestal chairs may be a solution to move them onto the fishing decks as it looks like your boat has the fixtures for the pedestals.....

Andy 

Pedestal chair is a good idea and Ive thought about that. 

The reason I bought my 22TE is for the step up decks!(and for many other reasons too). 

One other thing,, removing the step decks and lockers may not necessarily make the boat run shallower. It may make it ride worse. Removing weight can also make it handle bad thus needing ballast. Or a hull redesign.

I'm glad that works great for you. I've been on boats all my life and I love being up on the bow standing on the edge but for non boaters and my customers most do not.  When I fish nearshore and it's kinda rough and swelling even I stay off the upper decks.

MBC Makes at least 7 bay boats but not one with a level deck. Why not? It would be awesome in the commercial industry and many older buyers. I see older Pathfinder owners fishing in my area all the time and most are not on the upper decks. 

You can still make a small upper deck to fish from which would also be a large anchor locker. But imagine the room you would have with an open concept?

I sympathize with your situation, but you have very few options. You could stop taking older people fishing (they can't step-up 16" to use the front or rear decks), but that's probably not going to happen. You could install a removable step across the back (between the leaning post and deck) and one in the front. Couple that with pedestal seats and that might encourage older anglers to use the decks. I think older folks would use the decks if there was a step and a place to sit.

I'm 68 years old and have two knee replacements, so I bought the 23 HPS because it has a step to the front deck and it hauls azz (still like to go fast).

I feel completely the opposite way. I actually wish MBC would bring a cap design similar to the 2100 Fusion. The bigger the casting decks the better. 

Sounds like your clientele is not really into fishing. Why not move into a Cobia center console boat if you want more free board and deck space. 

3 hours ago, hurricane said:

Never been a fan of the tight spot from the cooler seat to the deak corner.

Exactly!!! That was my only complaint when I took delivery of my 23. Well some A-hole helped me out by steeling my factory cooler (Igloo). Bought another igloo, but slightly smaller, had the upholstery lady order material and make the seat. I eliminated the bungee cords that twist into the floor and hold the cooler down. Made my own bungee that uses only the rear floor gizmo. Long story short, I gained 4" between the cooler and the rod lockers and about 2" between the cooler and the front step. I use to squeeze by that tight area, now I can run through there like a wild-man.

Archived