HPX-V 18 Dry Launch

Marshfly

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2017 at 1:34 PM, conocean said:

Bingo. You don't want too much of the hull weight to be resting on that center fwd roller when you're bouncing down the highway.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to eat crow on this one.  Conocean was right.  The forward roller was supporting an area of the RF 16 hull that is thinner and not reinforced by a bulkhead or stringer.  I have removed that roller and re-positioned the other rollers with very little weight (or no weight) on them.  Marshfly, I don't recommend installing center rollers on the Ameratrail because the bunks provide the best support - directly underneath the stringers.

• 1 month later...

Marsh, I'm not sure if you have these rollers on your trailer or not, but might be the cause of your boat not coming off as easy as it should.... My friend has a Ameri-trail that has seen much more use than mine and it still looks showroom new... This got me to thinking I wanted to dry launch mine.. I started eyeing up his set up because it shoots off the trailer almost too fast... His  Mirage II  has a V all the way back (no pocket like the HPX), so it sits right  on the rear roller all the time.. I think if I added double rollers like this I could dry launch, but probable still wouldn't work as good as his, it's effortless... 

58cc949459b9f_hpxroller.jpg.e971bdd96eb46d36172e48596bb4dc9d.jpg

Yea. I don't have those. Just a pad on the rear crossmember. I also have pvc guideposts rather than the cool side bunk boards some of the Ameratrails have. I hate those pvc posts. They just beg to get nailed by the push pole or trolling motor while loading.

The roller is the key, especially when putting the boat on the trailer. I have an older Ameratrail with just the aft roller but it still works great. 

Wayne, I just saw your PM from a couple months ago, sorry about that I, wasn't gaffing you off or anything.

I don't think I'm going to spend the money at this point.. It's appealing though, when I look at his trailer and it doesn't have any corrosion what so ever on it... 

Jason, It all worked out.. I though I was going to need to leave my boat in Miami.. There was a enterprise right next door to where they towed my truck, they rented me a truck and we were fishing a few hours from then..

21 hours ago, Marshfly said:

I also have pvc guideposts rather than the cool side bunk boards some of the Ameratrails have. I hate those pvc posts. They just beg to get nailed by the push pole or trolling motor while loading.

Side bunk boards are great for loading and for the looks but IMO they're totally in the way when washing and/or waxing the sides of the hull that they cover. I've had both guide poles and bunk boards. No way I'll go back to bunk boards. Having to unhook the bow eye and push the boat back a few feet to wash the hull and having to remove them to wax the hull is a reel PITA! I've never clipped my TM or pole while loading but I always take my time. Others at the ramp can wait 😎

Just now, fishbum321 said:

got around that it is 16 wide if it is like mine

but i have a micro  hull is a little higher on trailer.  i can post a pic later

A pic would be awesome. I'd love to add that for low water launches even if I don't normally dry launch.

Archived