K & K Welding in Bradenton

WildBlueUnder

Hi Guys,

I'm considering having a T-top fabricated by K & K Welding in Bradenton but would like to get opinions from someone that has had work done by them.  On their website there is a photo of a Pathfinder 2200 with a T-top that they did and it would be great to see it first hand.  Input on any other marine work they've done would also be very useful.  Thank you - Tony

No input on K&K, but have you talked to Quality T Tops in Tarpon, or Sanchez Bros. in Ruskin? I have heard good things about both.

1 hour ago, LittleChief said:

Have you looked at Marine Specialties in Oldsmar? I had a poling platform made by them and they did some nice T-top work too.

Can you send me a pic of the platform they did for you? Been thinking about having a taller one built, I saw the one they have on their website and I like it.

1 hour ago, hurricane said:

No input on K&K, but have you talked to Quality T Tops in Tarpon, or Sanchez Bros. in Ruskin? I have heard good things about both.

Can you send me a pic of the platform they did for you? Been thinking about having a taller one built, I saw the one they have on their website and I like it.

They built the platform for my old Everglades, but here it is.

IMG_1309.PNG

Outlaw - 

May help all of us to understand what drives the price difference.  2K (in your example) is not chump change, and to an idiot like me, it all looks the same.  Obviously there is something signficantly different.  Can you educate us on what it is?  It would be nice to be able to ask some targeted questions about materials, process, etc.

Not challenging you, just trying to educate myself.  To the OP - thought this would help your thread, but if I'm hijacking, let me know and I'll post elsewhere.

Whichwaysup - no, you're in no way hijacking the post and your opinion is very welcome considering that I'm shopping for a T-top build/installation.  I too realize there must be reasons why T-tops/towers, etc. from fabricator A is less expensive than from fabricator B, but I don't know what the reasons are, so hopefully Outlaw will be able to educate us.

The top in the box , is called Fish Master .

Check em out .

It's a one size fits all top .

There is no altering the top .

As for the shops in Dade Co.

Most of those , are a piece work shop .

Meaning , they get paid , by the top .

I used to mass produce tops for several boat manufactures .

I could build 5 tops a week .

There is very little care taken on these .

Every detail and corner that can be cut , is done so to make more money .

Pipe size , time spent on doing quality welds , overall shape and flow to match the boat are just a few of ways to do a job faster and for less 

These shops will build you a top ( cheap ) , but the overall quality will be poor .

Now , go to a specialty shop , where fit , finish and no damage to your boat is their priority .

ACTION WELDING in your area is great .

It is about the experance .

People eho truly care about your boat , what your needs , concerns and wants are .

Taking the time to go over everydetail and showing you what the finished product will look like . 

Making your top , exactly how you want .

Height , width , number of rodholders , outriggers etc .

I overbuild my tops and all are heavy duty .

It takes me around 40 hours to build a custom top , and your boat will spend several days in my shop .

The boat must be protected from bow to stern .

We all love our boats .

Every piece of my top , is made , and fit , on your boat . I will get on and off the boat around 100 times .

The end result , will be a top that fits your boat like a glove .

Attention to detail .

Well ...........

Off my soap box !

Hope that helped

🇺🇸☠

Outlaw, respect your knowledge and skill and it would be nice to have some professional input into into terminology and lingo concerning t-tops towers and platforms. A seperate  post that could be saved for the future would be nice. Info such as material, diameter, wall thickness along with fittings, their usage and some basic design criteria would be extremely useful  This could be added to over time and pictures would give members food for thought.

Not trying to hijack post but give some ideas on future posts.

I bought a 2200 trs from down in fl. the previous owner had the top installed by action welding. I am only posting because the outlaw  referenced them. The top is awesome. I have no idea what the cost was but knowing custom work pricing i am sure it was on the upper end.I only question why the guy did not pay to have an antenna mount welded up there. I know a guy who bought a bolt together top off the internet.. It is not very nice and obviously there is no nice fit. that damn thing will knock you down trying to walk past it. My advice .. pay up get you a nice top.

The antenna mounts should b there .

That is another reason for the higher price .

A well thought out top will provide ( hidden ) wire runs located thru the top as not to have any exposed wires .

Capt DeWalt !!!! 😀

In your case , if you look at the pictures in my earlier post , the antennas , GPS , Sirius Anchor / nav lights should be mounted on the 4" oval that runs fwd - aft connecting the legs .

All of the pipes have been opened up and deburred , and in my case , a snake chase is supplied , and labled for easy instalation .

The wires should go down the aft leg and sweep into the console thru the lower wire chase .

I would expect Action to of done the same .

As for the cheapo tops .

You will know its cheap when you notice when the wires have to jump out of one pipe and go into the next pipe , or they just use zip ties .

Hope this helped .

🇺🇸☠

bruce at action welding is tops, no pun intended, lol. have used them several times. present top/tower on my 2200v is from Omni in englewood, came with boat. excellent product, great detailing and design. you get what you pay for. price reflects on quality, top size, pipe size, design and all the goodie add on's and must haves. one time deal, do not skimp.

t-top.jpg

Outlaw, thanks for the comments on the probability of one of the wide ovals being prepped for antenna. I had looked at those and thought that is where i should be mounting an antenna before but did not think about them always being prepped. I just sent an email asking action guys if they could provide a little insight on how the top was built. 

went out and looked up and it is very obvious the aft legs are likely wide open. my aft legs mount to the console and i knew the pipe was open to the console. He also left a pipe open to the electronics box. Again it pays to have a quality top built. 

Since we have come this far in the conversation can you advise me on actually installing the mount. Is there a self tapping screw option? will the sealant act as thread lock for the screws?  Also how do you prefer to seal the wire. looking on line i have seen the clam shell used as well as the cable outlet with the washer. I saw one pic where a guy left out a screw and used that hole.( not a good instal option  in my opinion).  Thanks for any advise you have for me and the rest of the folk who stumble across this thread 

Archived