Proud uncle

mulligan

My nephew for Christmas needed a new fishing outfit so I got him a new rod and reel but with a catch. I let him pick out a reel from the tackle shop, he picked a Daiwa BG, and for a rod I gave him a catalog of parts. I had him pick the parts HE lwanted , lay it out the way he wanted,and he was going to build his own rod. I figure if he put in the hours to do it himself he would appreciate more. 

After a few weekends and only a couple "It's hard" and "This takes long" he got it done. My nephew is only 9 and stuck it out really well. For a 9 yo to look at thread for a few hours was asking a lot but he got through it.  Not everything is perfect but I think he did a great job and I think he is proud of it as he should be. 

IMG_0752.thumb.JPG.ba5e88811f026d5a33cb5150ad2bdc66.JPGIMG_0754.thumb.JPG.ed1f0046c27ed1a418ffe67ead0e5722.JPGIMG_0755.thumb.JPG.3cb67c48b4c840983bc57b8de685349e.JPGIMG_0756.thumb.JPG.280f9c87de1e7e14f86a1aae4f52a39a.JPG

So many things right about that post.  Uncle teaching nephew a great sport, Uncle taking the time to instill pride in a boy, I could go on a lot longer.  

It would be so much easier to just take him to Wal-Mart and grab a rod for him.  He would value it in proportion to the effort he put into it.  

Reminds me of a quote I recently heard, directed at young men, "The world offers you comfort, but you were not made for comfort, you were made for greatness"

Thanks guys.  I am real lucky to have a nephew who would rather be doing something outside than inside, I thank my sister for that.

Funny story.  A few weeks ago my nephew was over to work on his rod.  After we finished that day we were to go over to my parents for dinner and to meet up with my buddy, who I grew up with, and his son.  The boys wanted to drive around on their go kart so I took the kart with me to my folks house.  The boys had been on it awhile when my little niece came outside and wanted a ride, well I wanted to ride too. So I kicked the boys off the kart and rode around with my niece.  I finished up riding around with my niece and started BSing with my dad and my old buddy thinking the boys were doing something inside the house.  We go inside and the two boys are not inside.  My buddy and I walk outside and out of the woods behind my parents house pops out two boys covered in dirt and mud!  My buddy and just looked at each other and laughed thinking those were the same woods we had our forts in and spent countless hours in when we were growing up.

Now my buddy and I thought it was great that the boys were out getting messy in the woods but I can not say that mom and grandma were as happy to see two muddy kids walk in the house for dinner.:D  

Archived