YETI vs RTIC Lawsuit

NCTribute

If you were thinking of getting an RTIC cooler, might be too late.

We're happy to announce a favorable settlement of our lawsuits with RTIC Coolers. RTIC has agreed to stop selling all of the products subject to the lawsuits (including hard coolers, soft coolers, and drinkware), redesign all of the products in question, and pay YETI a financial settlement. We're very pleased with this outcome and will continue to vigorously defend our hard earned property rights. 
Full press release: http://bit.ly/YETI-reaches-settlement

Not sure I'd be so proud of beating a better/cheaper product in a law suit.  RTIC and all the others prove Yeti is overpriced.  RTIC will make suddle changes and be back at it again.  Can't wait to see the new coolers and products.  As far as the cups. Yeti buys them from the same Chinese company like everyone else. 

I read in one article that RTIC will redesign ( which means make one simple change, such as move the hinge down one inch or move the drain to opposite side,etc ) and their 2017 line will be available in 90 days. Otherwise, they are allowed to sell all existing stock and continue doing business. 

The YETI cup copyright must be expired because you can now buy an exact copy at BassPro, Wal Mart, Home Depot for $10 and $12 bucks....as compared to YETI at $39. 

I have several Yeti's coolers and RTIC....they all are good. The fish, beer and ice don't seem to have a favorite. 

Interesting that local (Florida based) Cooler company 2 weeks ago told me they were in process of redesigning their Coolers.  Didn't mention Yeti/Rtic lawsuit, simply excited about their new design    Last year at ICast I must have seen a dozen roto molded Coolers..and 3 weeks ago at the huge Atlanta Mart (show for Retailers) again saw 3-4 roto mold Coolers and SS drink cups.

To Yeti's credit, they created a new category (who the heck ever thought we would pay $400 for an ice chest) and did an extraordinary job building a brand.  Apparently they do hold patents and the lawsuit was to protect their IP.  I understand that..the "but", when you create a successful category many will follow. During Christmas 2015 Yeti cups were on back order, they were going on EBay for up to $60!   Talked with local tackle shop, he had Engel cups in stock..not selling.  I asked why?  Women buying cups for their guys and insisted on Yeti brand!  (Again, kudos Yeti for building a brand).   I have both Rtic and Yeti. Both, for me, are quality products.   While I respect Yeti for protecting their IP, they exposed themselves to massive public criticism where posts basically ask: if Rtic copied your patents & product is "the same", how does Rtic sell for 1/2 price..you (Yeti) must be overcharging big time.   

likely yeti patented the hinge and latch design in the cooler.  there is not much you can protect in the cup.  it is a vacuum vessel Stanley has been using for ages.  short of the logo and cover shape maybe that is all that can be protected in the cup.  Brand loyalty is likely the only thing helping them in the cups. this is just my thought.  I have reviewed a lot of patents in school and on the job.  copywrite is a lot easier to get around a minor change in shape etc. typically this shape look etc. 

Copying a product and taking it to market has been going on pretty much forever.   It's still a type of theft though and not something to be respected or looked up to.  If I owned the Yeti company, I would be suing to protect my product that I designed and brought to market also. 

Rtic took a short cut and basically "splashed" the Yeti design and, in a world where we still have some law and order, they should pay some price for that short cut.   Just my opinion.

RTIC has issued a public statement:

RTIC IS VERY PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE AN AGREEMENT REACHED WITH YETI

RTIC, the leading direct to consumer online retailer of  premium coolers and drinkware announces that it has entered into a settlement agreement with YETI today for the purpose of avoiding the additional costs and uncertainty of continued litigation.  The dispute has been amicably resolved and as part of the agreement, RTIC has agreed to redesign only those products involved in the dispute. 

As part of the Agreement, RTIC is precluded from commenting further, but RTIC is very pleased with the settlement and considers it a win.   

RTIC had previously announced last month changes to its 2017 product lines and expects to rollout new products and updated existing products starting in early Spring.  RTIC will continue to operate as normal selling all the RTIC brand of products as provided on the www.RTICcoolers.com website keeping true to its promise to deliver "Over Built – Not Over Priced" products to all its RTIC fans & customers.  

About RTIC 

RTIC is the leading direct to consumer online retailer of premium coolers and drinkware.  It was founded by twin brothers John and Jim Jacobsen and has generated almost 1.5 million followers on Facebook since shipping its first cooler in September 2015 and now employs over 100 people.  RTIC is based in the Houston suburb of Cypress and owns fulfilment centers in Houston, Atlanta, Chicago, Harrisburg & Fresno occupying over 300,000 square feet of space.

I picked up the RTIC 20 lunchbox version for $100.00, shipped.  Thought that was hard to pass up.  I love my old small Ultra-Cool (now Engel?) but it doesn't keep cold like a Yeti.  Also love my Yeti Hopper that I won (wouldn't pay for one of those) but there is something about the small hard sided Yeti ("competition") that appeals to me.  Looking forward to receiving and putting it to work.

Good purchase. Already used it and holds temp great. Had some frozen food to haul about 2 hours(Sam's run). Didnt use any ice packs. Wasn't precooled. Not much thaw after arrival. 

Thanks for the heads up. Almost waited too long. The two larger coolers were sold out. 

IMG_1339.JPG

Archived