Painted hull - your reaction

whichwaysup

Hey folks - 

Every once in awhile, I run across a hull that has been painted with either awlgrip and/or interlux.   My immediate reaction tends to be negative, but probably because I don't know anything about the process, its durability, and the long term ramifications.

I'd be curious to hear everyone elses thoughts on this.  Certainly if anyone has experience with it, its durabilty, pros/cons, that would be ideal, but also for those who don't, I'd be curious if it would impact your decision to buy a boat.

Thanks all

No. My brother's SeaVee is Imron paint and it's held up very well and looks really nice after over ten years. Basically it's the same paint they use on airplanes. What's amazing is how hard the "two-part" epoxy paints are. However that being said, you really need a professional to apply the paint. Awlgrip without the proper protection during application can kill you dead as a hammer!! I used Signature Paint on my SeaCraft's transom when I replaced the core, been eight years and still looks perfect. Just rolled and tipped four coats. Oh yeah, It's sat in the water many times for a week or more at a time with no damage.

12 hours ago, Jscann said:

I'm glad this thread came up cause I'm curious about the paint. I was going to sea dek my interior just to hide stains but if painting could be a efficient and cost effective route that'd be great to.

What kind of stains are on your deck?  Before you do anything drastic, try barkeepers friend.  Stuff is amazing.  No, not at mariNE or auto parts store, you will find it at the grocery store.  Just keep it off your trailer. . .

I've used bar keepers friend on one boat befor and works great. I haven't tried on the boat in question yet but the stains I'm wanting gone is where I dripped fiberglass resin and the tried cleaning it with acetone rag . But all said and done I just smeared it and it trapped a lil dirt so now is a discolor rd spot on floor. Not to ugly just looks dirty

Boats painted with high quality materials that are prepped correctly look amazing! That is, until you get that nasty long scratch from rubbing against a barnacle ridden tree limb that was barely poking out of the water or when a tarpon hits the side of the boat leaving a huge scuff mark or when you blow out a tire and/or road debris leaves nasty gouges in the hull side or.....need I say more? I've seen it all. With gel coat you can usually always sand & rehab or re-gel & match those types of damage with great success. With paint, not so much. Good eyes can see areas that have been repaired on a painted boat, more so as the repair ages. We paint everything we build at Merritt's for the very wealthy individuals that buy our yachts. And paint is definitely easier than gel coat to clean. However, I still prefer gel coat for small boats.

Like others have said. I like painted boats that are originally painted and done well.  What I'm weary of is boats that were originally Gelcoat and are now "redone" and painted.  What happened to the gelcoat? It makes me think about how poorly the boat was maintained.  A 1972 Seacraft re-do is one thing, but I've seen boats in the 2000's with fresh paint jobs.  That scares me. 

I had a 1971 Mako 19'. I painted it in 1990 with Imron. I sanded it all down, applied a good primer (3 coats sanded between coats) and hit it with 2 coats of Imron. It turned out great and looked great when I sold her in 2014. Did it have blemishes? yep! She was fished hard for years and had the battle scars to prove it. 

As any painter will tell you, prep work is 98%, painting is the rest.

Archived