Which boat for Tampa Bay? $25K budget

Guvner

Guys looking for some advice on which of the Maverick/Hewes family I should be looking for, for the areas and style of fishing I do.

Currently I fish from kayaks and my tricked out canoe (trolling motor)

I mostly fish upper Tampa Bay but also fish the lower bay around Desoto and St. Joseph's Sound around Honeymoon and Caladesi.

90% of my trips are solo but occasionally I'll have another guest (rarely two)

So I'll be fishing off the trolling motor predominantly.

I fish artificials and flies, although a baitwell to keep some crabs, shrimp or Sardines may get used during Tarpon season.

I'd like a boat that will allow me to fish nearshore in the Gulf for Tarpon and Snook off the beaches in summer along the barrier islands of Honeymoon, Three Rooker and Anclote.

In winter I like to fish rivers, creeks.

A yearly trip to The Keys and Flamingo will also be part of my agenda.

Lastly I'm a big guy 6'3" 280 (though currently working on slimming down to 240)

Your thoughts, opinions and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thank you 

If solo and not looking to pole, I'd say hewes 16. The 18 is a much bigger boat and I like it better but if fishing solo 90% I'd have a 16 too. It'll be good for open water in summer and can float skinny when needed. It'll be fun in the keys and creeks the same. Very versatile fishing boat: I have the 18 but fish 2+ people 90% of the time. Once the kids move out and it'll be only my wife and I- I'm getting the 16

I have to agree that a master angler, redfisher or similar would be pretty darned good.  I fished lower Tampa Bay and my 18 MA was perfect.  That bay can get snotty and there aren't many flats that require long distance poling.  An ulterra ipilot allows you to standem on the platform and use the tm as much as possible, then switch to the pole when required.  

I'm with the 18' crowd. My 16' Bonefisher was just enough boat with me and my buddy @ 205 and 235 pounds, respectfully I might add, and if it got snotty the 16'er was not much fun, not saying a 18'er will be either. For TB I'd go with an 18' Lappy (i'm prejudiced to the lappys, sorry) with a 115 hp min.

Good luck.

19 hours ago, Guvner said:

Guys looking for some advice on which of the Maverick/Hewes family I should be looking for, for the areas and style of fishing I do.

Currently I fish from kayaks and my tricked out canoe (trolling motor)

I mostly fish upper Tampa Bay but also fish the lower bay around Desoto and St. Joseph's Sound around Honeymoon and Caladesi.

90% of my trips are solo but occasionally I'll have another guest (rarely two)

So I'll be fishing off the trolling motor predominantly.

I fish artificials and flies, although a baitwell to keep some crabs, shrimp or Sardines may get used during Tarpon season.

I'd like a boat that will allow me to fish nearshore in the Gulf for Tarpon and Snook off the beaches in summer along the barrier islands of Honeymoon, Three Rooker and Anclote.

In winter I like to fish rivers, creeks.

A yearly trip to The Keys and Flamingo will also be part of my agenda.

Lastly I'm a big guy 6'3" 280 (though currently working on slimming down to 240)

Your thoughts, opinions and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thank you 

Couple of ???

1.) Can you do your own upgrades / repairs?    If so, there are a lot of opportunities out there for you....

2.) You did not mention any family activities ???

3.) You mentioned Kayak / Canoe?   If you like the skinny, then a good used Pathfinder is your choice....you can rig a carry station for a Kayak and use the Pathy as a mother ship if you need to get really skinny....

4.) There are a lot of Pathy's in the Tampa bay area and sounds like this a first choice...or, a Master Angler 21....Tampa has lots of open water and you'd want something to cut the chop.....A MA 18 would be another choice....

dc

11 hours ago, linesider 159 said:

You need an 18 footer minimum for what you mentioned. The 16 is just too slow and too small. Maverick would be best. I shared a link to an 18 with a 150 sho in Tampa in your budget in the for sale section. That may be a good option for you. 

agree, 18 the way to go, tampa bay does get real snotty.

Great advice guys 18' where I was leaning, I will rarely if ever be poling.

5 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Couple of ???

1.) Can you do your own upgrades / repairs?    If so, there are a lot of opportunities out there for you....

2.) You did not mention any family activities ???

3.) You mentioned Kayak / Canoe?   If you like the skinny, then a good used Pathfinder is your choice....you can rig a carry station for a Kayak and use the Pathy as a mother ship if you need to get really skinny....

4.) There are a lot of Pathy's in the Tampa bay area and sounds like this a first choice...or, a Master Angler 21....Tampa has lots of open water and you'd want something to cut the chop.....A MA 18 would be another choice....

dc

Not really looking for a project boat. I can handle any electrical problems being an electrical engineer, motor mechanics is not something I have any experience or skills with.

Family activities - no kids just me and the wife and she doesn't fish.

Mothership rigging is not something I had thought of doing. I like to keep it simple and if I'm using the boat I won't be bringing the kayaks with me. I'd be too worried about leaving the boat unattended.

Although I certainly am not averse to jumping out and wading a flat.

I'd prefer to stay in the 18' range purely to be able keep the boat indoors.

Looks like the Master Angler seems to get the most votes.

I've not ridden on any Maverick's so the next stage will be trying to wet test some boats and get a feel for how they fish.

Thanks for all the insight guys it's very much appreciated.

I've not ridden on any Maverick's so the next stage will be trying to wet test some boats and get a feel for how they fish.

Thanks for all the insight guys it's very much appreciated.

I JUST BOUGHT MY FIRST (AND HOPEFULLY LAST MAVERICK) - I had never ridden in a 17MA or 18MA..and bought my skiff based upon the recommendation of Conocean, Poleposition, and Dave Stoots, all former owners...I can tell you...I've never been so impressed...

Good luck in your search....

dc

Live in Tampa Bay. Fish the exact same areas you do. Fish the Keys 3 times a year. Chase Tarpon from Sanibel to the Skyway. Fish primarily alone 80% of the time. Go to the sand bar with my better half. 

6' 3" - 230 lbs

I have a 18' Redfisher with a 115 hp Yamaha on it...............its perfect in every way !!!!!

Ive fished a '98ish 18'MA and just did a trip in the ENP with the same ride as my buddy boat. Took the ouside from Shark to Broad in a 25mph mess and he didnt flinch in the Mav. Plus he handled all of the backwater skinny with no issues. Fished iut of a '05 21'MA in the turner and back waters on a negative tide with a guide and fished a similar boat out of Fakahatchee River in sililar conditions. Those boats are tanks. I would compare the old Master Angler saltwater boats to the Ranger freshwater boats. They are dang hard to beat. 

Guvnr -

I found this old ad last week and found out that the boat is still available.  I tried to get Palmetto to buy it, but he's being a snob about 17's (takes one to know one).  I have to say that this is the prettiest 17 I've seen and it would be a temptation for me if I were in the market.  Seems like it would be worth looking at.  I know a lot of guys who have 18 MAs and won't consider a 17 (because we've never been on one and who would want less than what you have?), but I've NEVER heard a guy who's had a 17 complain about it.  Point is, I think a 17 and an 18 are more comparable than us 18 snobs will admit.  

Take a look at her - I have no affiliation with the seller or the boat, but do think she's darn pretty!  

17 hours ago, Davej said:

Live in Tampa Bay. Fish the exact same areas you do. Fish the Keys 3 times a year. Chase Tarpon from Sanibel to the Skyway. Fish primarily alone 80% of the time. Go to the sand bar with my better half. 

6' 3" - 230 lbs

I have a 18' Redfisher with a 115 hp Yamaha on it...............its perfect in every way !!!!!

6'3" - 230 lbs seems to be the average size of the MBG community. Add me to the list.

19 hours ago, Davej said:

6' 3" - 230 lbs

Dave if you ever feel like company and would be willing to take me out on your Redfisher I would greatly appreciate it.

I'll cover gas and any other costs, as well as either breakfast or lunch or both.

Would love to get out on a Redfisher 18 and an MA 17 or 18, just to feel how they fit.

I'm used to fishing ouy of a canoe so any boat over 16' is going to be a big step up.

Just really trying to make my first boat the right boat, if at all possible.

Thanks 

Archived