Gotta give credit to ole Nagjuice for stepping up

whichwaysup

Yesterday, I had an opportunity to sneak out and get a little fishing in.  Its been a week, and last time I went, I left the fish biting, so I was pretty eager to get out there.  A buddy and I left the ramp at 11:51, headed under the Snow's cut bridge, and exchanged some texts and calls w/ Nagjuice who was putting in about 30 min up the intracoastal and was planning to meet up with us.  The time we left would become relevant.

My buddy and I headed 20 minutes up river to chase redfish, and we had just boated our first when my phone rang.  Figuring Nag had gotten lost, I answered.  It turns out that sometime around when I headed under that Snow's cut bridge, some poor soul had decided to end his life.  From the news reports, we must have just missed him jumping.  By the time Nag headed under, there was a search and rescue operation underway.  It seemed that Nagjuice had decided to pass up prime fishing time and volunteered to help them look for the body.  Although the search was unsuccessful, the fact that he helped out deserves mention.

There was a recent video of some guys in a bass tournament passing another boat that had tossed its occupants, so I thought I'd point out that sometimes, folks DO stop, they do offer to help, and they do give up precious fishing time to do it.  

Someone managed a pic of the rescue operation, and I think if you'll look closely, you'll see a Maverick doing it's part.  The guy on it on the phone is calling me to tell me what was going on.

8030.jpeg

Thanks for the words Gus, but the reality is the electronics on our boats are probably more advanced than SAR Assets. I came to the bridge and saw the boats. Without asking, you knew what happened. I talked to the County asset and got a brief. I changed my plotter to full screen sonar and started a BARPAT. I found an "object" but lost it. There was no  idea to really tell what it was, but once I passed the information to the assets on scene they asked that I stick around and try to help locate the jumper. It sucks but not the first or the last time this will happen.

Well, I'll be dog goned.   Guess who showed up, unharmed . . . Man, I gotta tell you, it's bothered me all week thinking that I passed right under that guy before he jumped off that bridge and somehow I could have stopped it.  How this happened is still a mystery

http://www.wect.com/story/34454154/cbpd-snows-cut-bridge-jumper-located-uninjured

Archived