Caring for boat finish

rubble

My boat is 11 years old now and it looks showroom new.  It hasn't spent a lot of time on the water or in the sun.  Even when we had it in a slip, it was covered so not much sun.  Wondering if I need to do anything to help protect the finish?  I've read about guys waxing the boat to give the finish new life.  Not sure that mine needs new life but I do want to take care of preventative items as needed.  Is it a good idea to wash and wax/polish?  What is the best product(s) to use?  Recall a thread long ago about some using Zaino?

I have had great results with the star brite marine polish. I have also used the cleaner wax as well prior to the polish. I have tried lots of products and nothing has held up to the elements like the star brite polish. I put it on my Hull in April and it still beads like new. I use the boat at least 10 times a month too.

I use the collinite cleaner and wax as mentioned above but only if it really needs it like once every couple years.  Good stuff but not easiest to work with. It's a full day's work for me  

I'll prob get laughed at for this but new finish in orange bottle is awesome for a "everyday wax".  It's some sort of polymer coating that lasts longer than any wax I've used and is easy as can be to put on.  I've read it's basically the same stuff as rejex, just cheaper, but not sure. 

About once a year I give it a good polish, including the non-skid,  followed by waxing.  Then every few months it get waxed.  Every trip out it gets washed down good and air the hatches out.  About every 2-3 times out I pull the stuff out of the hatches and clean those.

I have had good luck with Collinite wax, Miguaires polish or the 3M.  I really like the Starbrite non-skid cleaner for the every trip cleaner.

My boats home is in a shed and also has a cover most of the time. 

I suppose everyone has their favorite wax/polish. I use Starbrite Marine Polish with PTEF and Rejex. Also use Woodys wax on the decks and floor. Even though your boat is on a lift and covered, it gets reflecting sun which is hard on the finish. I think the secrete is not which wax or polish us use, but doing it often enough to protect the finish from the sun. Another thing to remember; use a quality boat or vehicle soap with a little vinegar added. The vinegar helps prevent water spots. Never use dish washing detergent (like Dawn). It will remove the wax/polish.  

Orpine wash and wax is great for washing after each trip for the outside and inside. My detailer suggested it and its awesome, it is expensive at 20 or so dollars for a small bottle but you only need a capful for my entire boat Hewes 18 redfisher inside and out. very concentrated.

30 minutes ago, rubble said:

So you don't treat the nonskid surfaces the same as the smooth fiberglass?  And the hull glass is treated different than the interior glass(vertical surfaces)?

Only wax I use on my non skid is whatever is in the wash n wax.  Only because it's too hard to apply and remove for me and makes it slippery which is, well kinda counter productive 

My 1991 hull is pretty faded..spent a bunch of money over the years (since I got) trying to bring out the shine...I use Woody Wax on the metal (poling platform), I wash with Orpine, I've tried waxes, compounds, spray on products...  well it still looks like crap, but I've noticed the fish don't  seem to care .   

13 hours ago, johnd said:

My 1991 hull is pretty faded..spent a bunch of money over the years (since I got) trying to bring out the shine...I use Woody Wax on the metal (poling platform), I wash with Orpine, I've tried waxes, compounds, spray on products...  well it still looks like crap, but I've noticed the fish don't  seem to care .   

Once your boat gets to a certain point you need to start actually removing material to get the shine back, read this:

http://www.fiberglassics.com/RESTORATION/RESTORING-GEL-COAT

I only fish the Glades where the water is very tanic and it stains gel coat pretty bad. At the direction of the yacht detailing company rep that services our boat yard, here's what I do for a complete detail......to strip all contaminants I start by washing the hull with Dawn and scrubbing the topside with a mixture of Dawn & a splash of bleach. Then I spray a mixture of CLR and vinegar on the hull, let it sit for about 20 minutes then wipe and hose it off to get rid of the tanic stains. After that I use Star Brite cleaner wax followed by Star Brite polish on the hull, motor, console, fwd and rear bulkheads. Woody wax only on the deck. My hull usually looks amazing for 8-9months and the deck lasts 3-4 months before I have to reapply Woodys. I'm actually way overdue to get this project done but the fish could care less how good the boat looks! :D

54 minutes ago, conocean said:

I only fish the Glades where the water is very tanic and it stains gel coat pretty bad. At the direction of the yacht detailing company rep that services our boat yard, here's what I do for a complete detail......to strip all contaminants I start by washing the hull with Dawn and scrubbing the topside with a mixture of Dawn & a splash of bleach. Then I spray a

mixture of CLR and vinegar

on the hull, let it sit for about 20 minutes then wipe and hose it off to get rid of the tanic stains. After that I use Star Brite cleaner wax followed by Star Brite polish on the hull, motor, console, fwd and rear bulkheads. Woody wax only on the deck. My hull usually looks amazing for 8-9months and the deck lasts 3-4 months before I have to reapply Woodys. I'm actually way overdue to get this project done but the fish could care less how good the boat looks! :D

What's your witch's brew ratio??

I put half of a 28oz bottle of CLR in a 24oz industrial spray bottle with about 4oz of vinegar and fill with water. Spray it on the hull evenly with more emphasis where the stains are bad. Let sit for 15-20mins (not in direct sunlight!), wipe and spray with hose thoroughly. Repeat for really bad stained hull. Make sure all the film is gone before waxing.

Archived