Need help with Grouper rod

SCFD rtrd.

I've used a 7 ' Star rod for Grouper fishing for years. The rod is heavy and more like a broom stick. I use 90# braded line with the drag locked down. I cast pin-fish to structure with a conventional reel. I saw another Star rod that I like, rated for 30# to 80# line. It's lighter and the rod blank is much smaller in diameter. It's labeled as a "jigging rod". Does anyone have any experience with "jigging rods"? Is it good for casting? Thanks in advance for any help.  

I've used the shimano trevala 'jigging rod' for grouper digging. It's nothing short of amazing. Weighs nothing and rated for 50-100lb braid. I had the 6'3" which, while not having the most leverage on the boat, never failed. I would hold one of those shimano rods before you purchase anything- I've even asked the fish store guys (Betts in Largo) and they say they can't reccomend any other rods since they're so affordable and light.. and indestructible. I have a dogfish stick I use for light bottom fishing and king fishing too that's I'd reccomend but I use it mostly for kingfish during the tournaments.

Also- on the cheap end I still have a pair of Ugly Stick Tiger Lite Jigging rods with Penn Fathoms on em that have lasted 3 years now minus a broke tip (my fault) which I repaired myself.. they're bulletproof and I give em to family when they come in town since they're not the most salted- (levelwind reels helps for this).

Yes it's a conventional casting rod. And no I don't think it would be too much of a problem to cast some pinfish. The rods are way more thin than their line rating would lead you to believe. While not the most whippy, getting the 6ft or longer rod should be easy to have some decent (for a jigging rod) casts. Theyre sold at west marine and most fishing shops- I'd reccomend you get your hands on one and see how you like it- it's an impressive rod. Can always go a little longer for farther casting too. 

I have Shimano trevala, Penn Carnage and Star Jigging rods. Have caught many Yellow fin tuna up to 100 lbs as well as a120 lb bigeye. Like the Stars and Trevalas for live bait grouper in Key West. Penn is a little stiffer and prefer for tuna. The bigeye was caught on a Trevala with a Tyrnos 12 with 50 lb braid took 45 minutes, rod at times was doubled over, amazing technology. The Star is a little cheaper at $99 at KW Bait and Tackle, think the others were around 120. As far as casting the rods are like heavy trigger sticks used for bass fishing, Use Tyrnos 10s and 12s as well as Avet, have no problems casting a 4 inch pinfish.

4 hours ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

Made up my mind to buy the Shimano Trevala Butterfly Jigging Casting Rod TVC66M. Got some Cabelas gift cards for Christmas and got to use them up. Thanks for the help!!!

I suggest you get a little heavier action than medium.  I use XH for snapper and grouper.

^This was just going to say the same thing... youll be short on power for sure.  Also as to casting with the jig rods... you will notice an awkwardness casting with the 6'6, drove me nuts when I bought one.  The main issue is the jig rods have longish rear grip sections which leaves a lot less rod forward of the reel to cast with.  Your rig will have a lot to do with it.... trying to cast a fishfinder rig with the Trevalla is going to be a chore if not impossible to reach 50',,, knocker rig might be doable.

Check out the Terez rods... a heavy or X heavy should work perfect for you and you can stay in the 7' range   

Archived