Black Powder Coat

gamecocks2001

At the risk of hijacking, that seems like a common issue with powder coating that then leads to peeling and other issues.  What are the thoughts on linex vs. powder coat - pros/cons?   Linex is supposed to be ultra durable, but are there downsides?

OP - if I'm hijacking, let me know and I'll delete this post.

Had my share of powder coated metal on and off the water and never seen any that didn't eventually due as Whichway described at some point in some fashion large or small. Never faded though but I am not a fan. Every truck has had a spray liner and took a beating...never had it peel or crack even after crushing a wheel well with fork lift...I am a fan in the truck.  Never used it on the boat but see it showing up every so often on marine apps to include the hull as a keel guard. I am considering that route too but don't know if I would coat my tubing. Maybe some folks will post up some photos of it!  I am guessing though it will tend to have a dull if not matte finish in black though. Or maybe they can get er to shine.

There is a guy in Sarasota that applies line x in a different manner than traditionally done on bed liners. He posts on the hull truth and Freeman Boats has sent him metalwork to be coated for their boats. I've never seen it up close but if a company is sending their work from Charleston to Sarasota to be done he must be doing something right. Plus they're putting it on the boat show and icast display boat and I can't imagine it looking half done on a high dollar cat boat. 

Gamecock if you're in SC call Freeman and see if he has any boats at the shop that have it sprayed on. Maybe he'll let you take a look at it. Heck, you might even put a deposit on a new offshore boat. 

I have the line x on all of my pipework. It is a product called line x ultra. It doesn't have a dull finish. It is almost like an orange peel texture for a wall. It doesn't grab you when you brush against it. I like it but I wouldn't do it again just because of the way they handled my business. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone because I a fairly certain you will get sub par customer service. Which is sad to say. I just don't want anyone else going through what I had to go through with mine. 

Archived