Injector cleaning

mulligan

I have a 250 HPDI and with all the stories about them I have been overly anal about my fuel system.  Every year I have changed my filters even though they have not been scheduled to hour wise, even doing all those little filters it the pump and injectors.  This year I decided to pull the injectors to have them cleaned.

Yesterday I took the boat out for the first time since the cleaning.  I was not expecting much since all my injectors were well within spec and they said they were pretty clean.  I was wrong!  The motor ran awesome.  It seemed to have a better holeshot and just much smoother all around.  Now I am not saying go out and clean your injectors but if you have an older or high hour motor it might be something to think about.

I learned the importance of injector cleaning with my truck. Gas mileage started to decline to about 19.5 mpg highway (no boat). I ran some injector cleaner directly into the vacuum hose from the break booster.  Instant satisfaction! Next highway trip, 22.7mpg. I would suppose any motor with injectors requires some routine cleaning.  

Interesting. I have an underpitched 150vmax getting top end speeds of a 115.. so I'm far from running efficiently; and I'm fine with it since it's spinning the prop in the needed rpm range-- but I'm interested in anything that's good for the engine since I'd like it to last!

Mulligan

I have close to 1000 hrs on my 04 200hpdi and plan on pulling the injectors and sending them off. Did you use any particular source of information to pull the injectors or from a mechanical standpoint is it straight forward as long as you proceed with caution.

Any info on the process would be appreciated

I have a 3.3 and it was pretty straight forward, just removing bolts and pulling the injectors out.  It was about a 30min. job.  I read somewhere that one of the HPDI the injectors were a real pain to remove and even broke while removing but mine just popped out.  The only hard part was the bill for the Yamaha injector gaskets, $10 X12 for a little washer.

Milligan your right about Yamaha parts price ,way more than I would think for small injector filters and o rings.   My F150 has less than 150 hrs. on it just replaced water/fuel and gas filter but won't mess with injectors until I see a performance drop or 250 hrs.  Last time I helped a friend do his injectors we sent them out of state glade we have someone local doing good work. Thanks again for the information . Joe R

Joe

I too was about to send them away and decided to give Boost Lab a try.  As their name implies they are into turbos and fuel injections.  I spoke to them on the phone first and they seemed like a couple of gear heads which they were.  I figured when I pulled in and saw a bunch of bald drive tires and drag radials in the parking lot I had fond the place.

Archived