KeeKee Run

Having a little trouble deciding on the TM, Ulterra or Riptide. Most people are steering me toward the Ulterra. Universal Mania has been out of stock on both units for over 2 months. Any other suggestions for places to check to get a decent price? I have an 18.5 MA and had an old #80lb Great White for several years and seemed to work pretty well so thought I would go with another #80. I'm trying to decide on the length. Per the MK directions I measured down from the deck to the waterline and got about 17 inches (add another 5" per the instructions) puts me at about 48 inch shaft length but #80 only come 54" and 60", I'm assuming that the 54" is the right one and will give me plenty of length. I went to the authorized Minn Kota service center in Crystal River and they were telling me that the Ulterra was having some issues with belts and that they were getting several returned. Has that been a problem for anyone here? 

Okay - let's break down the questions here and make sure you get all your answers:

I-Pilot vs. Ulterra:   others can weigh in, but if you go Ipilot, know that they recently updated the Ipilots to have a puck that dramatically improves spot lock.  Can't recommend strongly enough to go with THAT version if you go Ipilot.  My spotlock drives me nuts sometimes.   Ulterra seems kinda bells and whistlesish to me, but I can see it being really useful if you were standing on the poling platform sightfishing and using the TM up front to pull you along - the ability to raise and lower it remotely in that situation seems useful.  Also if you are older and physically moving it up and down is difficult.  Other than that, I haven't been compelled to upgrade from the Ipilot I have.

Ulterra issues:  No idea, but whatever you buy, the extended warranty is a good move.

Shaft length:  GO LONG.  I have the 60" shaft on my MA and I wouldn't go any shorter.   In a decent swell, you will *** air constantly.  You will think it will be in the way if its too long, but but I've never found that.  I do tend to mount my TM's in a funky way (because I'm an idiot) so others may disagree based on the 'normal' positioning.  See my "greed" thread in the Vintage Maverick section to see how I have them mounted.

Thrust:  Agree, 80# is necessary.  I had a 55# for awhile and it was a disaster.  Don't under power your TM!

Just added a 54" terrova to my 18.5 master angler to replace a 50" great white 80 lb. thrust. 54" seems like plenty of length to me. Never had too much of a cavitation problem with the old shorter unit. And, remote operation allows use of the full length of the shaft whereas the old one had to be up within hands reach.

Also, bought from universal mania. Could not find lower price or even a close price. Was skeptical but the transaction was smooth. They replied to an order-related email within 2 hours. Unit was ordered on Monday and delivered, drop shipped from NJ, on Friday.

Just replaced my i-pilot with an ulterra. The main reason is I don't like getting on the bow in rough water to deploy and trim (raise or lower) the motor.  I have had it out a few times and I'll tell it ranks right up there with the powerpole. Spot lock is perfect, deploy and trim work great, and it has several other advantages over my old i-pilot. I can't comment on belt problems, mine is too new. I would definitely recommend the quick release mount in case it needs to be serviced, but so far no problems.

I have the first Generation Ulterra....over 1 year, no issues at all....I rarely use spot lock but when I have set it..it works perfectly...yes, it drifts about 10-15 feet sometimes, but, for what i'm doing it's ok.

no issues with the belt drives...very little maintenance, wash with soapy water and it's done..i do have the puck as I don't like to leave it on the boat and i have the battery tender plug set up, 2 DEKA series 27 AGM's, and have it on a separate system with breaker and pro-mariner 3 bank charger...again, I charge immediately after use and always before a trip so the batteries are 100%.

DC

On 2/20/2017 at 7:52 PM, KeeKee Run said:

Ok guys, I appreciate all those who chimed in. Thanks. Ordered an Ulterra, mounting bracket, breaker and plug this morning and a pair of 27 series optima's tonight. Everything should be here in a week or so. I have been waffling on this TM for sometime. Happy to get it ordered.  

Congrats, you'll enjoy it....

I hope you went with the battery tender plug ?   I feel it's part of the success for this motor...you need a constant good connection.

dc

Another good plug option is Anderson SB50 connectors. Solid, simple, connection and cheap. About $5 per side. Bestboatwire.com has them. Good source for marine wire, connectors, breakers, etc. They will also make up.a trolling motor cable assembly to your specs for a very fair price. 

Archived