Repower on 17' MA thoughts?

DaveC

All;  I have a 2000' 17 MA, going through a complete redo (Bob at Inshore is hammering away at it, thx BR) anyway... My question is this, I have a low hour 130 Yam and for a number of reasons I am considering the swap to a new Merc 115 Pro XS (great deal as well), since we have redone the entire boat a new motor is appealing.  Current setup is fine but what are your thoughts?

13 hours ago, Drummer said:

Why would you lose the 130? I have one and LOVE it! Is the Merc a better power plant? 

It is a new design, higher revs, a 4 stroke with a bullet proof reputation as well.  The Yamaha works great with no worries and I'm good with it.  As I said there are a few various reasons (some work related), and the Mercury works for all of my concerns...   Nothing against the Yam but...  Hey, its for sale too!

The MA hulls require more HP rather than less due to their weightI would stay with the old 130 Yammi or consider the F140 Suzuki. I'm sure you'd love the look, sound and efficiency of the new 115 Pro xs Merc but not the  lower cruise and top end speeds. My old 17MA had a 135 Black Max Merc on it and there's no way I would've been happy with less HP on that hull design.

The max HP rating was 130....   I'd like to get 3500 for my Yam, low hours as well. 

I understand that the Merc has a lower HP rating not arguing that point... A friend from Mercury tells me that the motor will actually push out about 12 more HP than the rating, we'll see how that goes?  But guy's, I do a lot of business with Mercury, BBG and their parts and accessories companies, so when I considered the 115 their was a lot involved in my decision, I did look at the 150 but....  And yes I do biz with MBG as well.........   I just love the boat and am hoping that the new rigging will perform well.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:52 AM, northernsnooker said:

I'm not a Merc guy, but i thought the Pro XS was 2 stroke?

Whats that year 17 MA rated for?  Maybe consider the Suzuki 140.

Rated at 130HP...  I do biz with divisions of Brunswick so just trying to keep the peace...

7 hours ago, DaveC said:

The max HP rating was 130....   I'd like to get 3500 for my Yam, low hours as well. 

I understand that the Merc has a lower HP rating not arguing that point... A friend from Mercury tells me that the motor will actually push out about 12 more HP than the rating, we'll see how that goes?  But guy's, I do a lot of business with Mercury, BBG and their parts and accessories companies, so when I considered the 115 their was a lot involved in my decision, I did look at the 150 but....  And yes I do biz with MBG as well.........   I just love the boat and am hoping that the new rigging will perform well.

The boat will perform very well with that merc. Most likely the same numbers as your 130 with much better fuel mileage. 

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:52 AM, northernsnooker said:

I'm not a Merc guy, but i thought the Pro XS was 2 stroke?

Whats that year 17 MA rated for?  Maybe consider the Suzuki 140.

The new Merc 115 ProXS is a single overhead cam, 2.1 liter, 4 stroke. It has 2 gear ratio's available so you can pick your poison. 

People that buy them like that it has more cubic inches  than the Yamaha SHO,  the valves never have to be adjusted (The SHO does need valve adjustments) and finally the optional gear ratios. I am not sure on the pricing but they may be less expensive to purchase than the SHO. Both (ProXS and SHO) 115's  claim to be pushing higher HP (126 HP is what I have read). I forgot one, The Merc weighs less than the SHO (15#'s, but hey).

11 hours ago, lurem said:

The new Merc 115 ProXS is a single overhead cam, 2.1 liter, 4 stroke. It has 2 gear ratio's available so you can pick your poison. 

People that buy them like that it has more cubic inches  than the Yamaha SHO,  the valves never have to be adjusted (The SHO does need valve adjustments) and finally the optional gear ratios. I am not sure on the pricing but they may be less expensive to purchase than the SHO. Both (ProXS and SHO) 115's  claim to be pushing higher HP (126 HP is what I have read). I forgot one, The Merc weighs less than the SHO (15#'s, but hey).

The new 115 ProXS is definitely grabbing some attention.  It's not my intention to hijack this thread, but just a side note to Lurem - Dale, you should get the ProXS 115 for your RF 16.  The 2.38 gear case should swing the Enertia prop nicely!  Then we should get together and I'll race you for a beer.  It would be great to have accurate ProXS vs. VMAX SHO test results on nearly identical boats.

I'm just givin' you a nudge Dale, because it sounds like you are as interested in the ProXS 115 as I am.  I think it might be the best motor available in it's class.  :D

• 3 weeks later...

Well I put the down payment on the motor a couple of weeks ago and am still waiting for it...  They can't accommodate the volume and are more than 3 weeks out on production that I was told was 4 or 5 days for delivery.... I am missing some good fishing so I hope this is really worth the wait...!

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 0:20 PM, whichwaysup said:

DaveC -

Did you say that the 130 yammy is for sale?  I didn't see it.

Yes sir... It's at Inshore Marine now, asking 3K with control and oil reservoir.  Motor is in great shape, new impellers and fresh lube about 300 total hours (I think?)

19 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

I have a guy who may be interested - he's on this forum.  Might be worth giving him a PM.   Let me know when you get closer.

Certainly, thanks for the heads up.  I'll be changing the motors next week, the new one is finally in route to me now...  Let me know and we will talk, thanks again! DC 

Archived