Bait Well Pump Removal

z28jimi

I have a 2006 2200V and I have a leak where the hose to the center rear bait well connects to the pump. I've tightened the clamp, but it still leaks. With some contortions, I can R&R the pump head, but I can't see how to remove the pump body. I suspect that the plastic nipple for the baitwell hose has cracked after 10 years of service. The pumps are both very close together, and are both very low to the bottom of the hull. It doesn't appear that the pump body will unscrew from the pipe nipple it's attached to without the nipple for the baitwell hose getting jammed against the hull. Has anyone replaced this pump, and if so, can you give me some ideas on how to do it?

Can you put up a picture of the pump, or at least tell us the make and model of the pump?  Depending on the make, you might end up having to replace the whole thing, if the outflow has cracked like you think.   And, if the pump is original, it probably would be a good idea to replace the whole thing anyway.  Have you pulled the hose off the "nipple" yet?

I'll try to post pics later today. Pump is a Rule 700 gpm F/FC series, made to connect to a seacock, and it appears they are discontinued (of course). The motor itself is still available, and I've already replaced the motor, so the pump runs fine, just leaks. I haven't remove the hose from the nipple yet. They slathered so much sealant around the hose/nipple connection it seems to be almost glued on. Since this pump is discontinued, I might have no option but to replace it with something entirely different. Any suggestions? 

You might have to use a pipe-wrench to hold the pipe while unthreading the pump. If that isn't going to work, just unthread the pipe with the pump still attached. When you reinstall, use some (Boat Life) caulking to coat all threaded and hose bard connections.

Are you sure the leak is occurring where the hose attaches to the pump? The leak could be where the hose connects to the live-well and is running down the hose and dripping off at the pump. Just saying.

I had a buddy who bought a brand new Pathy 24 last year which developed a leak at the thru hull.  It was hard to tell where the water was coming from.  We thought it was a hose attached to one of the pumps.  Had a dealer remove all 3 thru hulls (the boat has 3 livewells) because it was so tight down there,  just to reseal the leaking thru hull.  Warranty paid, but I think it took the dealer a full day of labor!  Quite a job! 

I appreciate all the tips. I'm pretty sure the leak is at the nipple, because I put the boat in the water with the ball valve closed, and the bait well empty. As soon as I cracked the ball valve open, letting water up toward the pump, water started to run from the nipple/hose joint. Of course it could still be a loose hose I guess, even though I cranked down pretty good on the clamp. I'm going to try to get the hose off without destroying the nipple and take a closer look at things. 

Archived