Swim platform

justfish

I had a Armstrong dive ladder on my last pathfinder, and really liked it.  But due to the addition of a little one, I am leaning toward a platform this time for him to be able to play off of. Anyone have a recomendation for an aftermarket one?  Already been in context w local fabricator and might go that route but it's around $700 all in.  Was considering one like below but concerned that I don't think I will be able to through bolt any except MaYBE the inner lower one.  Are screws enough to hold these things?!?

image.png

• Like 1

I had that ladder on my first pathfinder (PF20) when the grand kids were little. First it was ok when they were toddlers but too small after that. Second the mounting hardware was not of the best quality. All the bolts developed significant surface rust even though the were "stainless" and yes, once on the boat the bolts were not accessible. You might look at what MBC uses now........

• 3 weeks later...

I just purchased a swim platform/ladder like you showed above for my 2002 19v and I am trying to figure out how to through bolt the platform on my port side with the bait well on that side. The starboard side would not be a problem, but I have my power pole on that side already.

There is a small gap between the top of the bait well and the ledge to run the through bolt, but that may cause the platform to be mounted too far down.

Has anyone run into the same problem ?

• 3 years later...
On 2/26/2017 at 12:08 PM, brew1891 said:

My platform:

IMG_1863.thumb.JPG.820e22419f3ea4c0c44d97bbc5dde553.JPG

the top and middle are through bolted.  Bottom isn't. 

Middle bolt position (other behind oil tank so hard to take pic)

IMG_1864.thumb.JPG.9c7b99a407e7378a7232155b29504d7d.JPG

hope this helps. From top of platform to bottom of the blue color on hull is 3.5"

Did you ever have problems with the bottom screws not being through bolts? 250lb guy trust worthy? How think is the handle? 1 inch?

I will be installing a swim platform on my bay boat, but I went a little different route. Similar to brew's but two modifications.

• Rather than have the hinges on top of the platform for a ladder as in the picture I purchased a ladder for a deck boat, that has the same extension ladder, but mounts under the platform and slides into it's own housing under the platform so no hinges to stub a toe or cut yourself on top of the platform, especially for little ones. I had to edit this part because I forgot about the fact that as I get older my @$$ is getting a little bigger as well and if I want to sit down on the platform I won't have hinges up said @$$. :D
  • The grab rail is something I eliminated and I modified and beefed up the bottom angled supports. I put a pole in a rod holder on the back gunwale/deck for people to grab and help themselves up.
  • Also I have a deep ladder because I wanted my platform a little higher than the water line so the platform would not slap the water and scare the fish when anchored up and fishing, yellowtail fishing in particular!

Just my .02 cents. Enjoy those kids, they really do grow up fast!

19 hours ago, tha5150 said:

Did you ever have problems with the bottom screws not being through bolts? 250lb guy trust worthy? How think is the handle? 1 inch?

No. I’m not that big but my buddy that goes scalloping a lot with us is prolly 200-225 or so and I’ve had another buddy that’s 6’7” use it on a scalloping trip without it breaking. 

no idea on handle but that seems about right 

On 3/9/2021 at 4:24 PM, brew1891 said:

No. I’m not that big but my buddy that goes scalloping a lot with us is prolly 200-225 or so and I’ve had another buddy that’s 6’7” use it on a scalloping trip without it breaking. 

no idea on handle but that seems about right 

did you drill out the hole for the trim tab yourself? have a link to the actual platform and ladder you purchased? happy with it overall?

• 2 weeks later...