LT20 & 19RF ?s

palmetto1

Did the LT20s hulls change at some point?  Have read about how at least some years ride very bow heavy.

How about the 19RF, did they change at all?  Are all of them lappys? 

Comparing the two it appears the LT20 is higher freeboard and much wider so probably a better bigger water boat.  Not much heavier.  

Probably neither pole very well but do float reasonably shallow.

Would guess the RF is a little faster.

Are they both self bailing?  

Both just have cushion seat on top of compartment, no flip up right?

Any other major differences?

4 hours ago, slyshon said:

Yes, I believe we changed the LT20 hull in 1998, prior to that the hull ran somewhat flat and did not get much bow lift.  Never changed the 19, all lap strake builds. Both are self bailing and both have full width seat cushions on top.

Skip

Skip is right. Pre 1998 LT's run very flat. Not bad, just flat.  If you like getting on top and running you want the 19. 19 Lap Redfishers have a running pad and will be faster with the same power.  175 small block Yamaha is a great option for the 19.  The 19 is my favorite Lappy. 

My 1998 still rode bow heavy. Hard to drive in a larger following chop. 

Hull was self bailing and floated reasonably shallow. I actually liked the versatility and thought it did everything well. I sold mine because the bow heavy riding annoyed me and I wanted more speed, mostly speed (which I've yet to find a boat that satisfied my need for speed).

5 hours ago, palmetto1 said:

The lapps 18 is smaller than the current 18RF correct?  I checked out on the new ones at a boat show and thought I don't want anything smaller than that. That is why I thought the 19 would be an option as well as the LT20.  And still looking for an 18MA.

Same general size, 18'. Might have a tad less beam I am not sure. The 19 has forward livewell which is nice. If I was looking for a Lappy, it would be my first choice 

Palmetto, step back from the ledge.  Avoid the near occasion of sin.  Before long, you're gonna start asking questions about Carolina Skiff hull models.  

That MA is going to show up - its out there and someone is RIGHT NOW looking at it and thinking, "I think I need a bay boat"

I have a 1997 LT and agree the bow is a little heavy,but I think it is due to a trolling motor and full tank of fuel,  The tank has 55 gallions at 8 lbs per gal.  I plan to run half a tank this yr  with a new 150 4 stroke that gets 50% better mpgs.  I will bet it will handle a lot bow lighter without 250lbs of forward weight..

I'm not interested in super speed so as long as I can cruise at 35 and have top end of 45-47,I'm happy.

2 hours ago, palmetto1 said:

WWU - I'm considering a quality DuraCraft with a 25hp tiller.  They say it gets great fuel economy, floats really shallow and has only minimal hull slap and a superb ride when its flat calm!

Funny! I actually have two Duracraft rigs. A 1436 with a 15 omc and a 1548 with a 30 Yamaha! And yes, they get very skinny!! 

20 hours ago, linesider 159 said:

My 1998 still rode bow heavy. Hard to drive in a larger following chop. 

Hull was self bailing and floated reasonably shallow. I actually liked the versatility and thought it did everything well. I sold mine because the bow heavy riding annoyed me and I wanted more speed, mostly speed (which I've yet to find a boat that satisfied my need for speed).

Shane, how fast was your LT?

2 hours ago, linesider 159 said:

It ran 53, but I didn't know much about props back then so I never messed with it. I think I was running a 21 stiletto 3 blade with a 200 carved vmax

Thanks!  I have a buddy buying one and rigging it with a 250xs.  We will see what it runs. 

Archived