Hummingbird 360 Imaging--Optional but Recommended?

El Hydro

Have any of you had experience with Hummingbird's 360 degree imaging (AS 360SSI)?  I've read multiple reviews of its pros/cons, but would love to get the forum's take on the capability. 

I'm looking to replace my HB 998C SI--it's old, and the salt is starting to take a major toll.  I may sound a little partial to HB, but that's the only line I've run on my boat.  With that said, I'm looking to upgrade to the Helix 9 w/ CHIRP/MEGA/SI/etc, which should have more than sufficient side imaging capabilities (which I've come to love).. But, some guys swear by adding the 360 imaging capability to supplement. I typically fish my Mav 18' HPX on large flats in 2-10 feet of water, and the HB 360 imaging sounds ideal for these conditions.  Any recommendations/guidance would be much appreciated.

I appreciate it, guys!

If you were a bass fisherman 360 imaging is fantastic. For salt I cant see any reason at all to have it.

360 imaging is more designed for locating stumps and other structure that bass would hang on (or schools of bass).

I wouldnt want the bow or transom 360 imaging on a boat that strictly fishes saltwater. You certainly wouldnt be using side scan on the flats to locate fish

If you do any fishing on reefs the 360 makes A BIG difference.it will show you your relationship  to the structure  at all times so if the boat swings you know where the edge  of the reef is.

traditional sonar and sidescan need boat movement to tell  you  anything  but depth . If anchored next to a bridge you  can see location of the structure  and pilings at all times

More than worth  the money.

I don't know anything about it really, just wondering if you have to add an extra Talon to attach the transducer. Or do they have a transom mount or TM mount, I would think a TM mount would be no good if there was wave action. I've only see the one on the Talon and that just seems silly to have all that for a transducer.

Guys, thanks for the replies.  Yes, the vast majority of reviews I found were freshwater bass fisherman.  I did find a few reviews from south FL where guides said they were using the 360 to paint snook under docks.  I know that anything that would narrow down the number of docks to cast to vs docks to pass would increase productivity--not sure if that's worth $1400 though.

And yes, the AS 360SSI is mounted to what looks like a smaller talon--only weighs 18.25 lbs.  While I dont like the idea of adding any weight to the back end of my skiff, I like the idea of getting a 360 degree scan while poling in stained water.  Definitely good info, though, and I appreciate the insight.

If the 360 is on the back of the boat you will have to adjust if you are trying to read docks for fish standing at the front of the boat. Also remember there is a delay as the cursor spins 360. 

I have extensive use with Humminbird and minn kota products on the college bass tour and saltwater. Don't waste your money if you are going to try to dock fish or fish the flats with 360. Side and down scan are great especially during tarpon season. No guessing what pilings the fish are on. 360 for dock Fishing is a bit much imo

Cant imagine using 360 while poling. You don't get as good of readings super shallow and would hate to break it if you drag bottom. Dock Fishing you would need a unit up front also linked to the 360, but then push poling you need a unit linked at the console too. 

Don't overcomplicate inshore Fishing lol

Agree on flats  and shallow  water but for man made reefs in  30 plus feet of water dropping to the edge vs the middle of the reef will be the difference  in bait robbers or a nice flounder 

Using spot lock keeps you on the reef but does not  give orientation of the boat to the reef that changes with wind and waves

Mavericks aren't (usually) fished offshore- or on reefs. Not that it can't be done. I'm a huge HB fan also- but went for Helix7SI as I'm not in need of the 360; also didn't like the price tag of it. BUT as smilemaker said if I still had my old center console I think it would be worth the money to more clearly define the wrecks and reefs. Here in the gulf it's 3ft deep per mile on average; 30ft is 10miles out. Doesn't seem like much but on a flats boat it can be.

SideScan for Humminbird is all I need. I use traditional for bait pods. SideScan for docks, and it can help show potholes at night in the shallows. 

Archived