AGM vs standard acid batteries for trolling motors

Charles

Considering the big difference in cost what are the advantages to these two types of batteries for a 36 v trolling motor?  Warranties are the same (1 year) except for Interstate which is 3.  My last trolling motor with standard batteries lasted 3 years of use.

I'm sure there are more than two advantages of AGM vs Lead Acid, but here are the two I like. My batteries are a pain to service, so not having to add water is important to me and no spilling of acidic water to deal with. The other thing is that AGM batteries will hold a charge significantly longer (sitting idle) than Lead Acid batteries.

I bought the Duracell AGM at Sam's club about a year ago and no problems so far. And they were pretty cheap, about $130 for group 27 and $160 for group 31.

I can't speak for AGM's.( cost or performance) ....however, I have a 36 volt 112 I-Pilot and use 3 Deka group 27 standard marine batteries. No problems so far going on 2 years. On board charger is a Minn Kota 3 bank and I charge them after every use.

On my previous boat, I had a 24 volt system 80 lbs , and used 2 Deka group 27's and got 4 full fishing seasons out of them. The key is maintenance. 

No maintenance.

No gas fumes that will stain your console and eat away at wires.

No chance of leaking.

Very little loss of charge.

Generally the AGMs last longer.  I had a pair for 8 years and the boat I just sold had them over 5 years.

I also found a Duracell AGM at Batteries Plus(starting/house battery).  It appears to be a DEKA with a Duracell label.  This is common, there are few manufacturers of batteries with many branded labels.  If you look around, you can usually find a good price.

9 hours ago, Fish Food said:

No maintenance.

No gas fumes that will stain your console and eat away at wires.

No chance of leaking.

Very little loss of charge.

Generally the AGMs last longer.  I had a pair for 8 years and the boat I just sold had them over 5 years.

I also found a Duracell AGM at Batteries Plus(starting/house battery).  It appears to be a DEKA with a Duracell label.  This is common, there are few manufacturers of batteries with many branded labels.  If you look around, you can usually find a good price.

Well...Fish Food has proved that you can teach an old salty dog...new tricks. After reading his very sensible reasons for using the AGM's ...I will look into them for my next set....my biggest objection when I last checked was cost, but..it looks like the cost have came down significantly in the past few years. Good Post

I don't think the cost is too different. As mentioned above the Sams Duracell is about the best bang for your buck.

AGM's will run longer, give you a longer overall life, charge faster. Also no maintenance and no off gassing. The longer life will make up for the cost difference, down the road.

Standard Lead Acid here. Batteries are coming up on 4 years old. Fish on average about twice a week.

I have added water maybe 6 time. Take the opportunity to check all connections and for corrosion.  

Never noticed any fumes and wires look like new.

No leaking.

Charge has always been good.

Lighter.

Less expensive.

I have a Stealth AC/DC charging system and plug in no more than once a month and that is only when I don't use the boat for a couple of weeks.

32 minutes ago, hurricane said:

I don't think the cost is too different. As mentioned above the Sams Duracell is about the best bang for your buck.

AGM's will run longer, give you a longer overall life, charge faster. Also no maintenance and no off gassing. The longer life will make up for the cost difference, down the road.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^x2

Don't think you can beat the Sams price either. Mine are 3 years old and still going strong with lots of cycles on them.

I have owned regular lead acid deep cycle batteries for longer than I care to report.  I am on my first set of AGM's for my 24V troller.  I have never seen batteries recharge so FAST in my life.  I thought it might be the brand new super duper Powermania charger doing it's thing.  But, I think it is the AGM batteries that just take the charge so FAST.  That, the apparently longer life (we'll see), no leaking, and no topping off with distilled water, is WELL worth the small additional up front cost.  Did I mention that they charge up from a day's fishing it seems in just a couple of hours!  FAST!

37 minutes ago, fin-addict said:

standard deka 27 series for my 24v tm. lasts 4 years. use the quick fill system, no reaching for batteries, fill hose right inside console door. one hose fills both batteries at one time. no leaking or spillage, very simple. :) fin

use the same for my two start batteries aft.

I also use a quick fill system, just plug .the hose in and squeeze the bulb a few times and you are done. Regular batteries come with a new boat and the additional cost the dealer wanted for putting in agm batteries I can buy new ones for. So I use the regulars till they die and then replace with agm. I always have the console hatches open when charging, regardless of battery type, just peace of mind.

• 2 weeks later...

My trolling motor guy recommends lead cell deep cycle, specifically Deka, for the trolling motors. His experience has told him that they do much better for bass fishermen who make heavy demands on their batteries. Me, I went with agms because of where my batteries are located. I am 70 and not a contortionist, therefore my decision for agms.

Archived