Solution to anchor falling in locker

AFE CUMMINS 6.7

I had an issue with the anchor consistently falling in the anchor locker due to the anchor not being wide enough. I decided to fix the problem only after a year of picking the anchor out of the bottom of the locker. The fix consisted of ordering some carbon fiber 16mm inside diameter tubing and a tube of 5200. I cut the carbon fiber tubing to the desired length, scuffed the inside of the tubing and anchor, applied 5200, then waited about a week for full cure.  

IMG_7557.JPG

IMG_7558.JPG

IMG_7610.JPG

IMG_7611.JPG

IMG_7612.JPG

IMG_7613.JPG

IMG_7614.JPG

1 hour ago, fishmanjj said:

Do you ever use the anchor? I've never seen an anchor locker that clean...wow

Thank you. I rarely use the anchor, but every boat needs an anchor. I mainly use the power poles. I guess that may be why it took me about a year to actually fix the problem.  As for the cleanliness I owe the credit to Star Brite Marine Polish w/PTEF and Yamaha Silcone Spray on the metal hardware. 

8 hours ago, AFE CUMMINS 6.7 said:

I had an issue with the anchor consistently falling in the anchor locker due to the anchor not being wide enough.

Wow, good job!

I had the same issue and where you modified the anchor to fit the holder, I modified the holder to fit the anchor.

I think your fix is more cost effective!  Both work.  Here is what my fix looks like...

First, two beefy SS screws...

Anchor.thumb.JPG.b5fd391ae2484ac793f28cbe6815a26e.JPG

Then, two SS hasps to hold her down on the rough days (and with locks when parked in rough neighborhoods.  Yes, I'm talking about you, Homestead).

IMG_2541.thumb.jpg.0871d6ca66dbfc2d0c2da764e4effc1b.jpg

Both fixes do the job.  Are you reading this, MBC designers?

Oh, and are we having a "cleanest bilge" contest?🙂  Here's the 2000V with over 1000 hours...

Miss_Laurie-1.thumb.jpg.083b96267f60a4211d581414d73b40b4.jpg

59 minutes ago, AFE CUMMINS 6.7 said:

Thank you Ron. Great job on your solution too. Wow that's one clean bilge. Do you polish the clamps or are those new clamps? You certainly win the clean bilge trophy. I need to step up my game on getting my bilge to shine.  

IMG_6680.JPG

A periodic application of Zaino will work wonders on hose clamps way down there in the bilge!  The secret is out!

14 hours ago, rubble said:

Do most anchor lockers have some type of terminal/cleat in there or do most folks use a deck cleat?  

My BIL recommended putting a cleat in the locker as a backup in case the deck cleat fails. 

You do not need a "backup" cleat.  If the bow cleat fails, you have bigger problems than a failing bow cleat, like the category 3 hurricane that is blowing.

What your BIL (what's a BIL?) is most likely referring to is a place to tie the end of the anchor rode so that when you are letting out rode in a strong current and get to the end, it doesn't run through your hands and into the water (which may be why that end of the anchor rode is called the "bitter end").

My bow cleat is a lifting cleat.  Under the deck, there is a stainless rod from the bow cleat to the inside of the bow eye which allows the bow cleat to hold the weight of half the boat when it is lifted up for launch.  I simply tie the bitter end of the anchor rode around the rod in a bowline so if I get to the end, it stays on the boat.

A strong ring or even a hole cut through a vertical bulkhead ought to serve that purpose for you.

48 minutes ago, NCTribute said:

Just get a stainless eye nut and thread it onto the threaded end of bow eye inside the anchor hatch. 

Your solution is the simplest and cheapest!  Wished I had thought of this before I did mine.  Just get the right thread, and presto, you are done.  Nice solution!

IMG_2587.PNG

I carry around 300' of anchor line so if the anchor does fall in it won't go very far. I put some starboard pieces on the slots like Ron did with the SS screws and stopped all problems with the anchor dropping. Also lined the entire locker with rubber matting to make it more quiet.

On 3/12/2017 at 11:57 AM, Ron in Atlanta said:

You do not need a "backup" cleat.  If the bow cleat fails, you have bigger problems than a failing bow cleat, like the category 3 hurricane that is blowing.

What your BIL (what's a BIL?) is most likely referring to is a place to tie the end of the anchor rode so that when you are letting out rode in a strong current and get to the end, it doesn't run through your hands and into the water (which may be why that end of the anchor rode is called the "bitter end").

My bow cleat is a lifting cleat.  Under the deck, there is a stainless rod from the bow cleat to the inside of the bow eye which allows the bow cleat to hold the weight of half the boat when it is lifted up for launch.  I simply tie the bitter end of the anchor rode around the rod in a bowline so if I get to the end, it stays on the boat.

A strong ring or even a hole cut through a vertical bulkhead ought to serve that purpose for you.

A back up cleat ?  wow !!!!!    If it's rough enough to tear off my bow cleat on anchor.....I should not be out there on that day. 

For us Tarpon fisherman....when fishing on anchor... I keep an anchor buoy fastened to end loop in order to un-tie anchor rope from bow cleat and throw out so we can fight the fish away from the anchor rope...as you know, anchor rope and fishing line with a fish on the end is not a good combination....you may get lucky one time...but, statistically - you will not win that battle too many times.  Catch and release the Tarpon...then pull back up to your buoy and re-tie anchor line...that way if you have a chum line going for Tarpon...you are back in place. It's common courtesy among Tarpon fisherman, for a fisherman to pull back up to their buoy ball and re-hook to resume fishing. 

5 hours ago, fishmanjj said:

A back up cleat ?  wow !!!!!    If it's rough enough to tear off my bow cleat on anchor.....I should not be out there on that day. 

For us Tarpon fisherman....when fishing on anchor... I keep an anchor buoy fastened to end loop in order to un-tie anchor rope from bow cleat and throw out so we can fight the fish away from the anchor rope...as you know, anchor rope and fishing line with a fish on the end is not a good combination....you may get lucky one time...but, statistically - you will not win that battle too many times.  Catch and release the Tarpon...then pull back up to your buoy and re-tie anchor line...that way if you have a chum line going for Tarpon...you are back in place. It's common courtesy among Tarpon fisherman, for a fisherman to pull back up to their buoy ball and re-hook to resume fishing. 

I have the main anchor tied up to the eye nut. For tarpon or big drum fishing (shallow water) I have a second smaller anchor with 40 - 60 feet of rope, a swivel eye snap shackle quick release and a buoy, this is really slick, just give a yank on the release rope and you are free.

Archived