Another bilge pump question

dcathey

I've read through tons of other posts but couldn't find exactly what my problem is. On my new to me 06 22, the bilge pump looks fairly new and pumps great on the switch. My problem is I have no auto bilge. Stuck my hand down there and the float turns but pump won't kick on. The pump is an Atwood Sahara 4511. I followed the brown wires into the black covering but didn't start clipping zip ties yet. Where would that constant power be hooked up at so I can check that first before pulling open that bundle of wires. I checked 3 fuses around switch, checked all fuses on panel in console. Could it be wired up to switch panel somewhere? Need some input on this issue from some guys with older hulls. Thanks in advance 

IMG_9846.JPG

The brown/white wire goes to the switch while the solid brown should have an inline fuse and its own direct connection to the battery

Try to follow the brown and see  you can trace it to a fuse or circuit breaker.

also see if it is a mechanical/float switch or an electrical resistance type switch, either way they need to be cleaned now and then

I would not recommend  taking the automatic  function to the  switch.

The purpose  of the  automatic function  is to protect the  boat when not monitored. If at a dock overnight and you cut the power off you no longer have the pump if something happens. Go straight to the battery with appropriate  fuse.

15 hours ago, smilemaker said:

The brown/white wire goes to the switch while the solid brown should have an inline fuse and its own direct connection to the battery

Try to follow the brown and see  you can trace it to a fuse or circuit breaker.

also see if it is a mechanical/float switch or an electrical resistance type switch, either way they need to be cleaned now and then

I looked up the wiring diagram for the Attwood auto pump.  Actually, you have it just backwards.  The brown/white wire is the manual switch wire, while the solid brown in the "automatic" wire.  So, the brown could go directly to the battery with an inline fuse. 

I had the same problem, pump would work on dash switch but not on the auto/float switch.  Like you, I check fuse first and then cut the brown wire and had power, so that confirmed I had a bad pump.   Luckly I had bought an old style  Rule pump a few years ago figuring this day would come,

Since my 2000V is a 2005, the first thing I had to do is cut out the small round inspection plate and replace it with a rectangular waterproof hatch.  I bought the new hatch on eBay.

Then I unclipped the pump from its base and pulled it free, so I could unscrew the radiator clamp holding the bilge pump hose.  The hose would not come free from the pump so I carefully used a heat gun to break the bond.  The old pump was nasty.

Installing the new pump is pretty straight forward.  One tip is to soap up the new pump's outlet so it will slide easily on to the hose.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Archived