Hpx 15 anyone?

drewzx3

Had one for about 2 years. Drafts about 6-7 inches based on what gear you put on it. Poles fine and runs in the low 30s. Liked it but it was a little small. It is really a 2 person boat and if it has the 40hp, 4 stroke, Yamaha make sure the motor had the carb modifications done to it. Check the plastic fuel tank as well. Ethanol gas played havoc with some of them and MBC went to aluminum before they stopped making that model.

Good luck with your purchase.

• 3 weeks later...

I've owned an HPX 15 with a Yamaha 40 4 Stroke for the past two years. I love the boat. It polls shallow and easily. It is definitely a two-man boat. I've taken 3, but only on a slick-calm day on enclosed waters. It is a little short on storage compared to an HPX 17, but still not bad for two anglers. Mine has an aluminum fuel tank so I've had no issues. It is a bit underpowered compared to the eye-watering performance of the HPX 17. Correct  propping is a must. The hole shot is adequate with 2 people. It will cruise at 25 MPH with a top speed of 30 MPH. I can run 30 miles each way, fish all day, and have never used more than $20 in fuel. I paid $14,000 for a 2004 hull with a 2010 Yamaha F-40. In closing, it's no  HPX 17, but it's *** close.

PS- It's also great for bass fishing in the everglades.

• 1 month later...

I currently own a 2005 HPX-15, have had it since June 2013 and fished it from Grand Isle, LA to Big Pine Key, FL. As stated above, with a typical load fishing it drafts about 6 inches, and poles fairly easy. 2 people fish comfortably, 3 is a little crowded but doable. I paid $9K for mine but It seems prices have gone up since I bought mine. The boat seemed a little underpowered with the F40, I could cruise low-mid 20s and hit 33 mph wide open with just me in the boat. I recently put a Yamaha 2-stroke 50 on the boat and personally believe that is what should have come on it from the factory. Over all it is a great little boat, there are days I want something a little larger but it does what I need it to do 95% of the time and that works for me.

I too have a 2005 HPX 15, Mine was bgt 10yrs ago and I love it. 40hp Yamaha and I get the same speeds  25 cruise and low 30's high end. I use mine in the everglades and it is perfect.  Nice and shallow and easy to pole as most Mavs are.  Mine has a aluminum tank and never see E-10 fuel.  I fish by myself most of the time so it works great for me.  Almost doesn't use any fuel as you would guess.  For a little boat it handles light chop surprisingly well.  Love it.  I paid $15,000 with 30 hours on the meter. Great buy.

• 2 years later...