OT - Boat Related Anniversary Gift Ideas

FunFlatsFishing

Might be a bit out there, but the wife of a buddy of mine had a painting made of their family boat.  May sound cheesy, but actually, it was pretty cool.   They took the boat to a sandbar frequently, and the painting depicted it.  

Maybe I'm just a fanatic about my boat, but I'd love a rendering of my boat in it's natural habitat to hang on the wall in my office while working.  I believe Costco can take a photo and translate it onto canvas.

3 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

Big Green Egg or similar Komodo style grill/smoker!  I've had two for many years, one at home at one at my fish camp.  And if you already have a BGE or similar look into a Digiq Guru. Best accessory I've added so far. 

https://www.bbqguru.com/

That's a great idea. I have the BGE XL. Do you use it only for smoking or for everything like grilling steaks and burgers? I bet it would be good for pizzas. 

2 hours ago, FunFlatsFishing said:

That's a great idea. I have the BGE XL. Do you use it only for smoking or for everything like grilling steaks and burgers? I bet it would be good for pizzas. 

Not to derail but, I've done almost everything except bake a pie or pizza.  Low and slow BBQ is my favorite though. 

10 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

Not to derail but, I've done almost everything except bake a pie or pizza.  Low and slow BBQ is my favorite though. 

Pizza on the BGE is my specialty. Have been doing thin crust on the Egg at Eggfests for about 4 years now. They are great. As is everything on the Egg. I have 4- Lg, Sm, Mini and Mini-Max. 

sorry, I got a little excited about my new purchase last week (new gun) and maybe that's not your game.

Anniversaries...

I live in Florida so here are some things that I like to do with my girlfriend and you can apply them to where you live.

Go to St Augustine for a long weekend because it is a neat little town with lots to see and do. Maybe get a hotel or even a bed and breakfast.

Up in Mount Dora on the first weekend of every month they have a boat cruise for the vintage boats. You get to see the old wooden boats and new ones as well.  They go through a couple chain of lakes and eat somewhere along the way while on the water. Everyone is invited and you could get a place in Mt Dora, it is a cool little town as well.

Also in the Mt Dora or Wildwood area they have a train ride, cannonball express I think, It goes on 2 hour and 4 hour trips through the countryside with wine and appetizers served.

Anderson lodge in Welaka Florida is a small hotel with a restaurant/bar on the property. You can take your boat and put in on the St Johns river to cruise in either direction. St johns river has all kinds of hotels with boat ramps. You could stay on the river and go exploring. There is a river crossing (fort gates ferry) that you have to do!

Suwannee River- go cruise the Suwanee river and see old Florida. You can stay in Chiefland (hotels with boat parking) and hit the ramps and go north or south and explore. Fanning springs has a good ramp as well

One thing that is fun for us is when we do go out of town we have a rule (sounds like Gibbs on NCIS). When we eat we do not eat at franchise restaurants, we pick mom and pop places, Hint, pick the ones with the 4X4 trucks and dog boxes in the back. Hunters always know the good places to eat.

Hopefully this will get you brain juices flowing and others will chime in on your quest!

BGE definately....of course, to smoke your catch :)

I have the large....enough for couple of chickens, ribs, or pork butt....

Pizza...definately....smoked prime rib...un real...etc. etc.

My favorite....smoked eggplant for indian binghi badgi....and smoked cans of san marziano tomatoes for sauce or soup....

dc

If we are talking experience type of things (vs stuff), I know that when I lived in FL, as much as I loved the fishing, it was nice to get the hell out of there and see mountains (for native floridians, mountains are very very large hills, think sand dunes, but much bigger, and covered with trees).  

Douthat State Park just north of Roanoke VA is a really cool place.  You can rent a log cabin for 100/night, fish the lake that is stocked with bass and trout, take a guided trip down the jackson river, new river, or James river.  All three flow through the mountains and are spectacular.  Great looooong or short hiking trails, wood campfires. . . .

A nice way to get away, see something different, reconnect with each other.

Archived