Engine Start Issues

FunFlatsFishing

So where shall I begin? With the battery switch on 1 or 2 the engine will hardly crank if at all. With it on both, it starts right up no problem. 

Battery 1 is about 6 months old. 

Battery 2 (&3) are brand new. One week old. 

All batteries are Duracell AGM 31 series  800 CCA at 0 degrees. The engine is a 2006 Yamaha F150.  Also I keep them charged with the onboard 3 bank charger.

Battery switch? Battery cables? Terminals? Starter motor? Where shall I begin and how can I figure this out the most efficiently. 

Here's what I'd do, but keep in mind, I'm not a mechanic. First make sure all your battery cables are clean and tight from the batteries to the battery switch. If nothing changes, remove the positive cable (battery #1) from the battery switch and connect it to the cable going to the starter with a bolt and nut. Make sure the wires don't short against anything during this process. This will determine if battery #1 cable is good. Do the same with battery #2 cable. If the engine starts as is should, then the problem is with the battery switch.

Check the cables from battery to starter.  I had a similar problem that turned out to be corrosion in the  cable you can't see.  Tell tale sign is a brittle cable.  New cable and the power was normal.  Use an amp meter to check the current going to the starter.  Good place to start.

5 hours ago, FunFlatsFishing said:

So I pulled out my multimeter and both cables from the starter motor to the battery switch/ground post had 0 ohms of resistance. They also read 12.8 volts. 

Does this mean those cables are good or is there more that factors into it?

The answer to my above question is - Yes there are other factors. I will be doing a voltage drop test tomorrow.  

Archived