21 MA vs 2400 TE

branjz71

Looking for some input from owners.  I currently have a 2005 Master Angler 21.  I routinely take out family members that include several nieces/nephews that are very young.  Also looking at having my own kids in the future.  Wife wants a more kid friendly boat (more of a cockpit with gunnels), I want to keep my fishing capabilities.  I like the deck layout of the 2400 tournament, it seems to be laid out extremely similar to my MA.  However, I have been in 22' pathfinders and they just don't handle chop as well as mine, probably due to the extra weight of all the MA decking.  Is there a difference with the bigger, heavier 2400?  Looking at a 2007, if that makes a difference.  Any input from anyone that has been in both would be greatly appreciated.  I typically run the Indian River, the beaches, and offshore in good weather.

I have a 24trs and I would suggest it does a decent job with chop vs my old 2200v.  Cant speak to a MA, but if I had to guess, I would pick the MA for ride. However, looking at the entire picture, I feel it's considerably more boat and an excellent choice for the family.  My family thoroughly enjoys it vs my old 22.  I also enjoy the larger fishing platform offered by the 24.  Its quite capable and very versatile.

JP

I've owned both 22 and 24 PF's ....my fishing partner has a 21 MA....the extra width of the PF makes it a little rougher in a chop than the MA. However...if you tarpon fish near beaches and get into some 2 to 4 ft swells, you can stuff the MA and take on several hundred gallons of water as compared to the PF's ride higher in water and are less likely to be stuffed into a wave. Both are great boats and both fish very nicely.....I would say for family outings...you'd be happier with the 24 PF because of the higher sides and more space inside the boat for kids to ride. JMHO

The one thing to remember .... PF's are easier to find that a really nice 21 MA. Seems like nobody ever sells their MA's. 

I moved from the 21MA to the 22PF for two key reasons: family comfort and the higher console allowing me to comfortably stand up, lean or sit while running. If the 21MA handles chop better as the OP says I haven't felt it. To me the PF does just fine for a boat of its size.

P.S. I am keeping my eyes open for the "right" 24'. I'd love to have just a little extra room!

I owned a 24TE (2012) with a 250SHO. I have an 18 ma and fish a 21MA routinely. IMO the ma rides better. My wife liked the 24 better for comfort but my style of fishing was better suited with a 18ma.  You have a 2005 21MA AKA UNICORN. I wouldn't give that up for anything. 

51 minutes ago, Nag Juice said:

I owned a 24TE (2012) with a 250SHO. I have an 18 ma and fish a 21MA routinely. IMO the ma rides better. My wife liked the 24 better for comfort but my style of fishing was better suited with a 18ma.  You have a 2005 21MA AKA UNICORN. I wouldn't give that up for anything. 

👆🏻 This right here!  

My brothers 2008 21 MA is a battleship!  I buy boats for what I do 75-80% of the time. For you If that's fishing then stick with the MA. If you sandbar or restaurant hop, I guess a Pathy is better.  I want a bigger boat someday and a 21 is what I'll be after. 

Where you sit while running is the the deal. In a 21 MA you sit to the rear of the boat across the bench seat if you can fit them all there. 22 PF you are more forward at the console and it feels rougher than the 21 MA but you are really running on close to the same hull but sitting more forward at the helm. "point of impact"

Anything in the TRS platform will IMHO provide the most comfortable ride and any forward seating in a bay boat is for used at rest. No one in their right mind will ride forward of the console unless it is slick calm on any boat. The best ride on any bay boat is in the splash well right in front of the engine if you have a seat there.:D

I went from a 22 PF to an 18 MA. The MA rides better, call me crazy if you want to say an 18 can ride better than a 22, but it does! That doesn't really compare a 21 MA to a 24 PF, just info. I think Troy hit on the big reason for ride difference. 

At the time of transition I had a 2 year old, he is now almost 6. I feel safer with him in the MA than the PF, the PF has very little good seating (not a TRS). A cooler seat up front, thats rough and moves around, and a leaning post. I think the leaning post is dangerous, up high catch a wave sideways and its easy for a kid to fly out. I don't like people and certainly kids to sit behind the leaning post, I can't see them at all times. I don't think the taller gunnel is more secure, what I see is that just makes kids have to lean way over to touch the water. On a flats boats, they lay on there bellies on the wide gunnels and easily reach the water. Of course I don't let kids reach for the water while underway. 

Underway my son sits safely on the floor at my feet leaning against the aft bulkhead. At the sandbar and fishing he walks the gunnels like a pro. He always wears a good quality Mustang LiL' Legends life jacket. Just my thoughts, do whats best for you and your family.

I have owned a 21MA, 22 Pathfinder, and now have a 2400 TE. I can say that they are all great boats in different ways. The layout and storage on the MA is awesome. I really liked mine and if I didnt get transferred to CA for a few years I probably would still have it. I now have 3 little ones and wouldn't trade the size of the 2400 even for the 21 MA. As others said, it really depends on your fishing style. They are all good riding boats and I can say that the extra 2' between the 2200 and 2400 is a surprising difference in ride. I find myself fishing with the kids a lot and also cruising around so the Pathfinder fits my needs. I also load/unload alone and the 24 is still very manageable in that aspect. PM me if you have any specific questions.    

Quick question, related to this - what is the max capacity of the two boats (persons/poundage)?   The 18.6 MA is 4 persons (can't remember the weight).  Curious what the 21 is rated for vs. a 22 and a 24 pathy.

As an aside, the persons/poundage rating always reminds me of the way my college was described by one of the students in one of the college guides - clever kid said:   "There are tons of girls here, but not very many of them."  That was a long time ago, I suppose now such a comment would be considered "hate speech".  

Archived