Reminder

johnd

First real offshore trip yesterday as a guest..I always carry my ditch bag.  Found a need for backup GPS..mine worked, but batteries were very low.  So the reminder is: check/charge all your backup electronics before season begins in earnest.  Probably a good time to check & replenish stuff in your first aid kits too..check dates on your flares, test your EPIRB..etc.    I was feeling kinda dumb that I had my bag, but almost didn't have working GPS.    

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:50 PM, johnd said:

First real offshore trip yesterday as a guest..I always carry my ditch bag.  Found a need for backup GPS..mine worked, but batteries were very low.  So the reminder is: check/charge all your backup electronics before season begins in earnest.  Probably a good time to check & replenish stuff in your first aid kits too..check dates on your flares, test your EPIRB..etc.    I was feeling kinda dumb that I had my bag, but almost didn't have working GPS.    

I fished offshore for many years and had redundant systems on my Robalo along with a ditch bag. Every January and July I would go through a checklist to make sure I didn't have any surprises that would interrupt chasing dolphin and sails. Very fortunate that I never got stuck.

Yeah, just checked mine this morning after reading johnd's post, and found ditch dry bag a little wet inside. Someone didn't close and reseal it right and now needs new batteries, bandaids, and a good cleaning! And I thought I was ready to fish!

Better now than later!

Great safety advice.....

Thanks

Archived