Has anyone had their PF wet sanded?

Scout6

We wet sanded a friends boat a couple of years ago.  We started on the bottom to get the hang of it.  Once we got rolling, it went really well.  You just have to keep moving the wheel and keep wetting it so you don't burn the gelcoat.  After that, we compounded/buffed it with high speed grinders, then waxed it the same way.  It was a long weekend for 3 of us on a 20 ft. boat but it ended up looking really nice.....

Like said above, give buffing a try first. My boat was lift kept and faded, I thought I would need to wet sand also. Turns out, a good buff job and it looks amazing.

You need a rotary buffer, cheap one from Harbor Freight or similar will be fine. Then with a good white wool pad from 3m, use 3m Imperial compound. Next with the yellow 3m pad, use 3m Finesse It polish, follow up with your choice of a good wax. I use Collinte and apply with dual action polisher with a blue foam pad from Lake Country.

You can substitute the above for the products of your choice. The 3 steps will have to be accomplished after the wet sand, so you will need all the gear anyway. So try the process in a small area and see if your happy with the results, I bet you will like it.

This is a project for non fishing season......but, here in Savannah..we can fish pretty much all year....so, I talk about buffing mine when I'm fishing 🎣🎣🎣😎

actually..I did buff mine out a month ago using a electric polisher / buffer with a wool pad and a 3000 grit buffing compound , followed by a polishing compound, and then finally a coat of Rejex wax put on by hand and wiped off with microfiber cloth.  Took about 4 hours total and 8 beers. It ain't perfect...but, it's better than it was.....

IMG_3424.JPG

1 hour ago, fishmanjj said:

This is a project for non fishing season......but, here in Savannah..we can fish pretty much all year....so, I talk about buffing mine when I'm fishing 🎣🎣🎣😎

actually..I did buff mine out a month ago using a electric polisher / buffer with a wool pad and a 3000 grit buffing compound , followed by a polishing compound, and then finally a coat of Rejex wax put on by hand and wiped off with microfiber cloth.  Took about 4 hours total and 8 beers. It ain't perfect...but, it's better than it was.....

IMG_3424.JPG

Nice, real nice!  But I must say, not quite up to Zaino Ron's standards!  😎

I can have mine over there in a few weeks.

31 minutes ago, JEM said:

Nice, real nice!  But I must say, not quite up to Zaino Ron's standards!  😎

I can have mine over there in a few weeks.

It is no way near close to Ron's Zaino detailing.....that dark blue on mine was showing UV and saltwater wear...the compound did bring out some shine....notice the trailer fender reflection on the side, I probably should do it again...but, I'm going fishing. 

2 hours ago, JEM said:

I'll bring you 8 beers......no, make that 10 beers.....I certainly want to tip you, when I wheel mine over!   Thanks in advance!!!😀😀😀😀

No problem....your lighter colored blue will be much easier than my dark blue was...the dark blue shows swirl marks as the buffing compound is taking off oxidation, then you have to keep rubbing / buffing until you get it slick.  No issues at all with the white. But, if we are going to do both boats..you might consider a bottle of Glenfiddich 18 year old single malt. I have plenty of ice and water...😎

also: since the polishing and waxing, I had my leaning post seat and back recovered. I went with a off white color rather than the factory two toned tan colors. In the picture above you can see the factory tan as compared to now a fresh white. 

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

"But, if we are going to do both boats..you might consider a bottle of Glenfiddich 18 year old single malt"

NOW we're talking!!! Make it tough on them JJ, raise the price to include some 23 year old "old Pappy Van Winkle" bourbon. :D

2 hours ago, HoneyB said:

Leaning post looks great!  May I ask Who done that work for you? The white looks very clean, I like it!

BoatBrights in Bluffton SC.... I was in a rush and this guy took it and I picked up in two days. No complaints. 

There is also a lady here in Savannah that does a fantastic job, she previously operated a marine upholstery shop and now has set up a shop in her home, does seats , cushions, Bimini tops , etc...but was backed up a few months when I got the urge to redo mine. Evelyn Wood Custom Canvas 912-547-0161

I bought an 04 22 TE that was BADLY oxidized a few years ago.  I wet sanded with three different grits then used rubbing compound then polishing glaze and then waxed the hull. It looked like a different boat after i was finished.  I did it all by hand and was an incredible amount of work but I would work on it for an hour or two after work each day and was extremely satisfied with the way it came out.  I wax the boat once or twice a year and the color is holding up and not oxidizing again.  

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, wet sanding works but I would not want to be the one to take a piece of sandpaper to my hull!  It's like, yes, open heart surgery works but I would prefer to let an expert do that job rather than DIY.

Bought a 1992 Donzi Sweet 16 a few years ago.  The boat came from Naples, FL so as expected, the hull was oxidized from the sun...

58f5f0ea968ff_Engine4.jpg.ce0acee43577294b52620b1b98183108.jpg

Had my local fiberglass shop wet sand and the result looked like this...

Referb-6.thumb.jpg.c794c168543b828568e2e8a3a9e519e6.jpg

Then, with a little Zaino...

Donzi-34.thumb.jpg.a1266b231b85939f54936f8dee695385.jpg

By the way, this little 16 footer had a Chevy "Stroker" 383 cu inch V- 8 engine which ran the boat literally twice as fast as my Pathfinder.

58f5f1f9a1c63_NaplesBoat9.thumb.JPG.54acf9144015a17b39b14a206deef6e6.JPG

Good luck with the wet sanding - be careful!

Referb-2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2017 at 8:21 AM, hurricane said:

Like said above, give buffing a try first. My boat was lift kept and faded, I thought I would need to wet sand also. Turns out, a good buff job and it looks amazing.

You need a rotary buffer, cheap one from Harbor Freight or similar will be fine. Then with a good white wool pad from 3m, use 3m Imperial compound. Next with the yellow 3m pad, use 3m Finesse It polish, follow up with your choice of a good wax. I use Collinte and apply with dual action polisher with a blue foam pad from Lake Country.

You can substitute the above for the products of your choice. The 3 steps will have to be accomplished after the wet sand, so you will need all the gear anyway. So try the process in a small area and see if your happy with the results, I bet you will like it.

Ditto

Archived