First time Hewes owner to be !!!

RacerxV6

Ok,

So where do I start and sorry for the long thread starter.  I grew up in S. Fla. and mainly fished the Atlantic out of Ceaser's Creek, Elliott Key area.  I did however on occasion get to hit the Everglades and fell in love with the amount of species that existed and were catchable.  This is where I started my fetish with Hewe's boats.  I am now at an age "old" where I can afford to make my purchase and not live to regret it.  I would like to get opinions from the owners and those that have fished these boats.  There are a lot of flats boats out there and I hear that some are better than others.  I have always been drawn to the lappy style Hewe's.  I do not however want to get in to a restore type boat, not just yet.  I am looking to purchase a Redfisher born between 2004-2009.

Are there any concerns that I need to be aware of with these boats, I think not.  I have heard that the gel-coat starts to spider some what, T or F.  I also hear that they are built more for speed rather than skinny water fishing.  I now reside in South Carolina and will be mainly fishing lakes for Striper and large mouth, but will be making trips to the coast for Redfish and tarpon and such.  My budget is between $18K and $22K.  So let me hear from everyone....thanks for taking the time to read this and I can't wait to post pictures of me and my new to me MBG Boat.

In a somewhat similar position 6 or 7 years ago.  Kids grown, had Offshore boat, got rid of family craft..found an old Lappy.  Could have been a project, but I prefer to fish vs. fix.. got it, still have and enjoy!  Plus so many great folks on this forum with tips.

In those lakes I would prefer a "bay" style, in this family that's a Pathy, but on your trips to rivers I would prefer the Hewes/Maverick.  So in advance, welcome to the MBC owners family

I have an 06 that I bought from original owner last year. The hewes are skinny enough (10-12") and can take open water well. Their hulls are fast and efficient. 18-22k can get you into a nice 18ft without ridiculous hours on the motor. 115hp is enough, as always more (150max) is better. OR you can get a newer 16ft (I would want the 115 on it also). As far as what to look for- find one with the options you want! (Powerpole / trolling motor / release well / new electronics / new batteries / trailer upgrades etc. most owners of Hewes and Mavericks understand their boats retain value and care for them as such so many will be babied. I haven't really seen more than a handful that actually got mistreated. Aside from the normal soft spot inspection, transom stress cracks, condition of hatches and wiring there's not TOO much to look out for. If your worried- hire a 3rd party boat inspection company.

I have owned a RF18 - 2003...very nice boat...solid on the water...

But, from what you are describing, sounds like a 20 foot Pathfinder or an older 1806 might suit your needs a bit better.

Having a taller center console and higher gunnels makes for a safer boat and it will draft the same as a RF with 100% greater flexibility and a better ride in open water.

Just something to consider.

dc

Everyone thanks for the warm welcome to the Hewes family and all the words of encourgement. 

Wanaflatsfish,

I thought about a bay boat buy they just are not as appealing to me as the RF.  While I plan to spend most of my time at the lakes it will be more for shallow water fishing, I am only 3-4 hours from the coast so those trips may be farther apart but they will be there and I prefer to have the boat to handle that when the time comes.also, this will be my only purchase for quite sometime....

2 hours ago, RacerxV6 said:

Everyone thanks for the warm welcome to the Hewes family and all the words of encourgement. 

Wanaflatsfish,

I thought about a bay boat buy they just are not as appealing to me as the RF.  While I plan to spend most of my time at the lakes it will be more for shallow water fishing, I am only 3-4 hours from the coast so those trips may be farther apart but they will be there and I prefer to have the boat to handle that when the time comes.also, this will be my only purchase for quite sometime....

A 1806 Pathfinder  or 19 Pathy will float in the same  (12" or so max) and will be easier to fish out of as you have gunnels for your balance.

Just a thought.

dc

Welcome. Make sure you test ride any one of the boats you are looking at before purchasing. If you are looking at the Redfisher 16' footers in thosel years they tend to have issues of porpoising while running on plane. If you are ok with running with the tabs deployed all the time then it will not be a problem for you. Some years are better than others, like I said test ride first.

The redfisher models are all user friendly for fishing and cruising.

If you are looking at a general flats boat that can cross some snotty water but still run shallow, the Redfisher is a good boat and I've never heard a negative.

Having said that, you may want to take a ride on a Master Angler (y'all knew I'd say this).  There's a guy in your state who just picked one up and it's worth a comparison.  The downsides for the MA based on what you've described are:

- Not a lappy hull

- Smallest is 17'

- Price/foot/year will be a little higher than a comparable Redfisher

- Once you ride on one, you will be thrust into the strange cult following of the MA and refuse to consider any other hull out there.

;)

51 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

If you are looking at a general flats boat that can cross some snotty water but still run shallow, the Redfisher is a good boat and I've never heard a negative.

Having said that, you may want to take a ride on a Master Angler (y'all knew I'd say this).  There's a guy in your state who just picked one up and it's worth a comparison.  The downsides for the MA based on what you've described are:

- Not a lappy hull

- Smallest is 17'

- Price/foot/year will be a little higher than a comparable Redfisher

- Once you ride on one, you will be thrust into the strange cult following of the MA and refuse to consider any other hull out there.

;)

Funny you should mention the MA, I found a 17 2001 in Ft. Meyers with a 115 and it looks super clean.  I wanted a lappy because I love the looks and I know they fish incredibly well.  "That may end up being a project boat if I ever get the chance."  If I was in a position to pull the trigger today, I would be driving there right now.  If looking to include the MA's what am I looking for.  I am pretty stuck on owning a Hewes or Maverick, I don't necessarily what to go beyond 18ft.  It needs to be able to fit in my garage.

Archived