Debating on a Hewes or Maverick

Lowkee

Gents,

New to the forum!

I current fish the Biscayne bay & Flamingo area. Looking for a Flats boat that will allow me to get somewhat skinny and also be able to cross biscayne bay and also hit the near shore reefs. I currently own a 17' bay boat and got the itch to get a flats boat.

What would you guys recommend?

thanks for your time

Both are great boats....I guess it boils down to what you plan to do....fish / pole in skinny water or maybe use a trolling motor sometimes. My buddy has a Redfisher18 and it's a great boat and runs really nice with his SHO 150 on it, but it is no fun to pole. Too much boat to really do a lot of poling with. I'm sure some of the skinny water guys reading this will comment on their boats as well. 

IMG_1040.JPG

I will start off used my first time around. I will primarily use the TM but will also want to try the poling around for reds in flamingo. I might be asking for too much lol

I actually have my eye on a 1995 Hewes Bayfisher 16'. Is that a good start?

Thanks for the responses!!

Thats an awesome start. Thats the starting place for many people, including myself.  Great boat for getting across Biscayne Bay on a wind day, the hulls of that year are called Lappys and have a nice sharp bow entry. The sharp entry gives a good ride, specially into that east wind across Biscayne.  Has a good livewell, floats shallow, and can be poled without to much trouble.

I've always felt that in your area, a technical skiff is the best boat. I have a Redfisher 18 and live in Tampa: which is the perfect boat as there isn't many areas that need the pole to get to. In flamingo and that area I've always seen the shallower skiffs have a huge advantage; as do the boats with better poling ability. Bay fishers are awesome but I've only ever seen them never ridden one. I think the maverick lines should be great for you

If you want to pole regularly and have the budget for it, a HPX V is the only way to go (in the MBG family) as far as I'm concerned. Admittedly I'm a little biased but for the flexibility these boats offer and to still be able to push them around all day it's a no-brainier. 

Archived