SUP (stand up paddle board)

fin-addict

Fin:  I see a guy hear periodically with his SUP strapped on his T top. Looks like he has a strap on front and one in back,  no way it can go anywhere. He has a couple of throwable PFD's ( cushions ) between the board and top. He obviously does not have an antenna up there, or either he takes it off when carrying the board. Not sure this is what you were asking...but it's what a South Georgia redneck does to carry his SUP. He anchors his boat, pulls down the board and off he goes into the narrow shallow creeks and large flats for redfish. 

I've been looking for a good solution for this as well.  My wife likes for me to carry her board on the boat and ferry her around while I fish.  I've just been laying along one side or another but takes up so much room, I'd like to carry it up on the T-top some how.  Thought I might be able to find some kind of rack like a wakeboard rack that I could mount to the side of T-top but don't think that will work even if I could find something.  Ideally I'd like to see something that carried the board diagonally up under the T-top.  But I'm not sure that really takes up less room that laying up against the gunnel.

For me its probably either going to be up top, or just keep doing what I'm doing.

20 hours ago, justdriftin said:

I've been looking for a good solution for this as well.  My wife likes for me to carry her board on the boat and ferry her around while I fish.  I've just been laying along one side or another but takes up so much room, I'd like to carry it up on the T-top some how.  Thought I might be able to find some kind of rack like a wakeboard rack that I could mount to the side of T-top but don't think that will work even if I could find something.  Ideally I'd like to see something that carried the board diagonally up under the T-top.  But I'm not sure that really takes up less room that laying up against the gunnel.

For me its probably either going to be up top, or just keep doing what I'm doing.

need for same reason, son and his wife. presently doing the same as you. tried DIY pvc racks in rod holders, too much flex as prof. ones. under the top takes up too much head room. on the top would be best with auto style cross bars if I did not have the upper station.

fin - you sort of reinvigorated my interest in looking for a solution so spent some time cruising web and found a few things

https://www.bulletlines.com/kneeboard-boat-tower-rack-p/271.htm

Most are combo racks, but there are a ton of companies out there making kneeboard and wakeboard racks for boat towers so there has to be something out there that can work.  

I'm thinking I could mount something like this on the outside rail of my T-top.  Not sure how much pressure that will put on the top, I wouldn't run anything rough with it up there for sure, but for to get it out the way, kinda, while fishing or headed to fish, might be worth buying something like this to give it a shot.  I've got 2 girls, so probably not going to be too long before one of them is going to want a board and if it gets all of us on the water I'm going to find a way to make it happen.  My son was talking about wanting a board on the boat to slip back into some shallow spots, so heck, maybe I'll just need a mother boat for the boards and gear.  

14 hours ago, fishmanjj said:

Wow....that's a simple solution there ! 

yes, that is the best idea, have seen many of this type. son last sunday made a pair from pvc, looked and worked fine until you get into a slight chop, flex's all over the place. cost was $15.00. saw several online videos of them in alum or ss. they flex way too much for my liking in anything but flat water. I run charlotte harbor and it is anything but smooth most of the time.

• 3 weeks later...

My boards are in a well-padded bag so I just stand them on edge and strap to the console and leaning post.  Yes, they take up lots of room under way but the Pathfinder is so wide, that we have more than enough boat left over.  I trailer them in that position as well.

The SUP is GREAT for a core workout by the way.  If you have not yet tried it, go ahead.

Padded bag...

SUP-11.thumb.jpg.06c6c2aa215f4206a69ab8e506e28c6c.jpg

Moose enjoys the ride as well...

58f5ebbf6d0ae_MooseandRonSUP-1.thumb.jpg.c23761dc67f5cfc68b859247e5467310.jpg

Archived