Non-skid repair

mulligan

In the next week or two I will be pulling the trigger on a new trolling motor.  IF I go will a GPS model I am sure I will have to do some patching as I do not think the holes are going to be the same.  Do you guys have a technique for blending in the non-skid?  My only guess is to use glass beads of some kind to mix with the gelcoat.  I am just wondering if there is a better way as I am sure some of you have done it before.  Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

That MiniCraft mold pattern is Expensive.

If, you have access to a vacuum chamber (small one, check out Youtube) get some Smooth On silicone rubber mold compound or equivalent.

Find a good textured spot somewhere else on your deck.

Coat area with a couple coats of spray on mold release after you have cleaned the surface thoroughly.

Mix mold compound, vacuum to remove air, pour a thin coat onto the prepped are, let cure and peel off.

Apply spray on mold release to the textured mold pattern. (2 coats minimum)

Apply new gel coat to repair area and lay the pattern on top of the new gel coat.

Lightly apply pressure with a roller to evenly imprint the area, let cure and remove your pattern.

I have had reasonable success by filling the holes with slightly thickened gelcoat (used cabosil as well as the gelcoat with wax) and then using a small foam roller, or dabbing the repair with a small piece of foam, to get a textured finish. Wasn't perfect but was pretty close.

Thanks guys.

Dang RipTide, that is some heavy information.  I was able to dab it like RobVan suggested.  I also added so fine sand to give it the texture.  It is not perfect and I will more than likely go back and do it again to make it spot on.  The small spot is under the trolling motor so it is one of those things no one would know about but will drive me crazy just knowing it is there.

Archived