Stress cracks @ corners of splash well

Hewes Owner

Fiberglass flexes, gelcoat not so much. Gelcoat also hardens more over time, and is thicker in the corners and areas with compound curves making stress cracks more common in these areas. It is cosmetic and can/will happen in any boat over time

My 2000 year....2400v with F250 had similar cracks both in front bulkhead and rear bulkhead same as yours. The first 1600 hours on boat was HPDI 200 and then 475 with F250 when I sold it. I would not worry about the gel coat cracks, if you fish out front on beaches chasing Tarpon...the boat will sometimes take a beating. I figured for a 12 year old boat , it was a tank compared to other brands that had been used like mine. Ive seen boats with far less hours with cracked hulls, cracked stringers, etc. The Pathfinder can take years of hard fishing or just taking the family on weekend fun days. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've talked to a bunch of people and am getting mixed ideas about the larger crack on the port side. I marked them and I'm going to run the boat for a couple trip. If they spread I'm going to bring it to a fiberglass shop and have them take care it. I'll keep y'all posted on what happens. 

• 2 weeks later...

Heres the update on the splash well area. I have run the boat a good bit since I first posted. The first run was just to see if i could get the cracks to spread. I beat the boat up pretty bad for about 20-30 min in some nasty stuff with no sign of spreading. After feeling a little more comfortable with the boat I made a few 80-100 mile round trips in my typical fishing weather (not blowing much more than 10 mph with a little chop). The cracks have not spread at all! I guess the damage is as bad as its going to get. Im just going to live with the eye sore for the time being. Thanks for all of the reply's!

Archived