Old Trolling Motor Mount

FunFlatsFishing

I have the same mount and those two phillips screws are what you tighten to adjust the tension or loosen to slide the plate off exposing the two round pucks below. If they are seized get yourself a can of PB Blaster the best penetrant in the market in my opinion. It has worked magic on stuff I thought would never come loose. Spray the screws real good and let soak for a good while and hopefully you will get the same results I have had.

1 minute ago, Coto said:

I have the same mount and those two phillips screws are what you tighten to adjust the tension or loosen to slide the plate off exposing the two round pucks below. If they are seized get yourself a can of PB Blaster the best penetrant in the market in my opinion. It has worked magic on stuff I thought would never come loose. Spray the screws real good and let soak for a good while and hopefully you will get the same results I have had.

If I cant get the PB Blaster to work do you think I can drill the screws out? Just work my way up in size with my drill bits until it eats through the full screw?

No it is not a nut it is a specialized part that is the male part that slides into the slots on the two round pucks. Try the PB Blaster let soak overnight if it is super seized and then hit it with a phillips bit in a ratchet wrench and hopefully the screws will give. Now a couple of other things, did you try striking it with a hammer to force it to slide off? It slides off in the direction of your stern and slides on in the direction of your bow. The other thing is make sure there is not another screw or bolt in the hole on the stern side of the plate....I can't tell from the pics? There is one on mine which locks it in preventing thieves from easily sliding it out.

Have you tried a screw remover?  They are reverse threaded and you drill a pilot hole, then screw it in counterclockwise.  Get the biggest and best made one you can find.  I've broken then off before.  But you can get it in there and use a wrench or ratchet to get more leverage to get it to turn.

13 hours ago, HoneyB said:

I would start with drilling the heads off the screws so you can lift the plate. use a camera phone to look underneath the deck form the anchor locker and see how much mounting hardware you see. That will give you a direction.

I like this idea. Drill just deep enough so the heads of the screws are gone, then using something to separate the top plate from the round pucks. This will leave you just enough screw left to grip with a pair of vice-grips. But, before using the vice-grips, use some PB Blaster and let it sit overnight. Fold a paper towel several times until it's about 2" square, force it over the screws and soak the towel with PB Blaster. Lay something on top to keep the wet towel in place overnight.

Yes drill the heads off don't try to drill the entire scre at this point. 

Be very very careful with leaving the PB Blaster on the boat. It could stain your gel coat. I do not know that but that stuff is very dark in color  if is stays on your gel coat all night it could stain.

That looks nice. Did you through bolt it some how? A trolling motor puts and enormous amount of force on the mounting location. I know a guy who lost a nice motor off the bow while running in a chop. Is was mounted on a quick release I believe that is what failed some how. I honestly did not get the details of what came loose. I would humbly suggest larger mounting hardware on your plate and try to get a nut under there if there is room. 

Archived